VMware Cloud Community
avrgjoe
Contributor
Contributor

vib install fails with keyerror on esxi 7.0.2 build-17867351

[root@esxi4:/var/log/vmware] vmware -v
VMware ESXi 7.0.2 build-17867351
[root@esxi4:/var/log/vmware] esxcli software vib install -d "VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip" -f
[KeyError]
"filename 'var/db/payloads/boot_loader_efi/BOOTx64.EFI' not found"
Please refer to the log file for more details.
[root@esxi4:/var/log/vmware]

0 Kudos
7 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
The easiest way to install a .bin or zip file is to copy it to the tmp directory, but in general you can copy it to any volume and directory you have access to.

Go to the SSH console and from the root directory run
esxcli software vib install -d "/tmp/VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip" --no-sig-check

The --no-sig-check parameter is only for this case (StorCLI).
you must always specify the full path to the file

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
avrgjoe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply but i have never able to install vib or zip in esxi from console other than /var/log/vmware, by default esxi looks for the file when you don't define full path.

This issue is not that simple , its not an user error. Below is the commands you suggested all errors out the same. I tried install esxi with efi bios, legacy , didn't matter. i suspecting error with esxi version. i will try with lower version. but i am amazed that esxi developers deploys a version without doing any tests.

[root@esxi4:/tmp] pwd
/tmp
[root@esxi4:/tmp] esxcli software vib install -d "VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip" --no-sig-check
[MetadataDownloadError]
Could not download from depot at zip:/var/log/vmware/VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip?index.xml, skipping (('zip:/var/log/vmware/VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip?index.xml', '', "Error extracting index.xml from /var/log/vmware/VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/log/vmware/VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip'"))
url = zip:/var/log/vmware/VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip?index.xml
[root@esxi4:/tmp] cp *.zip /var/log/vmware/
[root@esxi4:/tmp] esxcli software vib install -d "VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip" --no-sig-check
[KeyError]
[root@esxi4:/tmp] ls
VMWare-ESXi7.0-Provider.zip ssh-XXXXGC70gl ssh-XXXXwmeBFc vmware-root
VMWare-ESXi7.0-StorCLI.zip ssh-XXXXuI2Pkt synology-nfs-vaai-plugin-1.2-1008.zip
[root@esxi4:/tmp] esxcli software vib install -d "synology-nfs-vaai-plugin-1.2-1008.zip" --no-sig-check
[KeyError]
[root@esxi4:/tmp] esxcli software vib install -d "VMWare-ESXi7.0-Provider.zip" --no-sig-check
[KeyError]
[root@esxi4:/tmp]

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
One detail, from where do you boot ESXI?  (USB key, SSD or Hdisk)

Which disk controller (brand/model) do you have?

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

In the first error you included in your last post, it is for The full path of the specific driver and/or bundle is not specified.

esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/FILENAME.zip

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2015834

the UEFI mode, which btw. is the default option for many current operating systems.

What exactly do you want to install ?, because in the last attempt you attached in your last post I see synology-nfs-vaai-plugin-1.2-1008.zip
Is the server where the ESXi is installed physical or virtual?

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
avrgjoe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

I tried giving full path , same error. I have installed these many times, in fact i have another system with VMware ESXi 7.0.1 build-17168206 and i didn't have any issues installing any package.

This seems to be particular to VMware ESXi 7.0.2 build-17867351

The reason I tried different installation files is to show its not particular file its every installation file.

I am trying this on SuperMicro SSG-6028R-E1CR12N with Broadcom 9560-16i raid controller. ESXi is on dedicated raid1 SSD disks.

Thanks

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Please verify the following requirements
SuperMicro SSG-6028R-E1CR12N
Bios 2.0b

Raid Broadcom 9560-16i, any of the supported driver and Frimware combinations for 7.0U2

e_espinel_0-1624759424290.png

The following commands will help you identify the controller and driver you are using.

# esxcli storage core adapter list

# vmkload_mod -s ls_mr3 | grep Version

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
avrgjoe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thanks for the help

i was able to install the packages, i installed esxi 7.0.1 and installed the packages then updated to 7.0.2 latest. that way packages remained.

like i said before its a problem with the esxi version

and just fyi here is the driver i am using

[root@esxi4:~] vmkload_mod -s lsi_mr3
vmkload_mod module information
input file: /usr/lib/vmware/vmkmod/lsi_mr3
Version: 7.716.03.00-1vmw.702.0.0.17867351

0 Kudos