VMware Cloud Community
nace_tech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

verify vmware VSS driver install

I've installed the VMware vss via the vmware tools and rebooted.  On a 2003 machine i see the vmware VSS service running.  On a 2008R2 machine I do not and want to verify it's installed.  is there a way to do this or is it just running?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not believe you see the VSS VMware driver in your service menu, but the VSS driver uses the Volume Copy Service.  Like I said, if you mount the tools to a modify, you can get  100% confirmation that it's loaded.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it's enabled in the VMware Tools by default.  So, if you used the default install the VSS driver is enabled.

0 Kudos
nace_tech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, i had to manually choose this part to be installed because it was not when i checked.  so i was wondering why there was a service running in 2003 but not in 2008r2.  I'm going to use vranger's vzshadow to quesce our exchange 2010 transaction logs and wanted to verify i had my ducks in a row.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you see the service "Volume Shadow Copy"?

0 Kudos
nace_tech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, but i thought that was the windows service because on our 2003 machine it specifically says Vmware VSS in the service name

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

to be 100% sure the VSS driver is loaded, mount the tools installer in interactive mode, choose modify and from there you see the VMware Device Drivers... VSS should be installed. (Volume Shadw Copy Service Support)

0 Kudos
nace_tech
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, and it is and rebooted.

I think the service i'm NOT seeing in 2008r2 is the vmware snapshot provider.  Should i be seeing this with the vmware VSS in 2008r2 with the vmware VSS driver installed?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I do not believe you see the VSS VMware driver in your service menu, but the VSS driver uses the Volume Copy Service.  Like I said, if you mount the tools to a modify, you can get  100% confirmation that it's loaded.

0 Kudos