VMware Cloud Community
rageshk
Contributor
Contributor

vcpu and Core

Hi,

How ESXi server hardware is selected based on VCPU requirement  ,what is the best option for VCPU V/S CORE ESXI Server calclation .

What is vmware best practise for telecom Processor ,core v/s vcpu ...how will we select ESXI hardware based on this .

Regards,

Ram

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Ideally you will want to perform an analysis of ths existing environment to understand the resource usage in the environmet using a tool like VMware's Capacity Planner - this will allow your to size you hosts approruately. For a rough estimate you based upon normal workloads you can support 8-10 vcpus per physical core.

I am not sure what you mean by telecom processor core?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rageshk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

This is a new requirement so we can not go through vmware capacity planner .

here my requirement is ,i need 27 vms in total 109 VCPUs so which ESXI Server  will i buy .

if i look server details - 2  OR 4 Processor per server with 10 or 8 or 6 or 4 core

so how many ESXi servers ( with 2/4 Processors & Core )  i need to buy for 27 VMs integrated on 109 VCpus

Please guide us

Regards,

Ram

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Not knowing the workloads of the servers you are virtualizing the number of cores you will need is 107 total vCPUS / 8 vCPUS per core - 13.375 physical cores -rounding up to 14 cores - if you want to be more conservative you can double this so you will need 28 Cores.

If you are planning to implement HA and DRS you will need at least 2 physical servers - but I would consider three that way you will always be protected if you need to bring a server down for maintenance etc - the qustions on 2 or 4 CPUs will be really a question of cost

Hope this helps -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
rageshk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the quick responce .One more question is

one of my proposal ....

Chip Set Intel® 7500 Chipset

Number of processors 2 or 4

Processor core 10 or 8 or 6 or 4

Maximum processor speed 2.26 GHZ ,10 Core

my question is do we get 10 core for 2 Processors configuration or 20 core for four cpu configuration or only 10 core for 2/4 CPU Configuration .

Regards,

Ragesh

0 Kudos