VMware Cloud Community
herberth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vcenter server is down and esxi server hosting it's db server has issue

hello vmware experts,

i hope you will be able to help me with this issue. our  vcenter server suddenly fails. i found out that the database server of the vcenter server is down. when i traced it, the esxi host itself is having some issue.

i've already restarted the esxi. i tried to connect to that host again via vsphere client and at first it says that it takes too long to respond (this is the reason by the way that i know that the host has an issue) then i restarted the management agent from the console. this time i was able to login into the esxi host via the vsphere client. unfortunately all vms are showing unknown.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

assuming you have shared stored, you can still make a note of what the VCDB VM is running on (even if the guests are showing unkknow).  Connect to a different host, browse the shared datastore and find the VCDB VM,  from there right click on the .vmx file and add to inventory.  Then power on the VCDB VM.  You can do the same if your vCenter Host is a VM.  Once you get both VM's added to inventory and powered on, you may find things are a little easier to troubleshoot.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

assuming you have shared stored, you can still make a note of what the VCDB VM is running on (even if the guests are showing unkknow).  Connect to a different host, browse the shared datastore and find the VCDB VM,  from there right click on the .vmx file and add to inventory.  Then power on the VCDB VM.  You can do the same if your vCenter Host is a VM.  Once you get both VM's added to inventory and powered on, you may find things are a little easier to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos
herberth
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes, i did this one. i was able to successfully added the database server of the vcenter server to another host. i was then able to power-on the server. unfortunately when i look at the device status of the network adapter. it's not connected.

i tried to put mark on 'Connected' but i'm getting an error Invalid configuration device 0.

i tried even to change the Network connection to a different DVS but no other selection. i think w/o the vcenter you could not select any DVS - bec i tried to create a new VM and it won't give any selection of DVS.

0 Kudos