VMware Cloud Community
satishchirala
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vcenter goes down , what are the feature will not work ?

my vcenter goes down , i had 5 cluster  each cluster having 5 hosts , and i had configured HA and DRS  and 5 fault tolerance , is ever thing work well ?

please help me for solving this issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

• HA will continue to work. It is configured through vCenter Server (i.e. vCenter Server configures the hosts), however it does not need vCenter Server to work. (see the link I provided in your other thread)
  • DRS will not work. Moving the VM's between hosts is a vCenter Server function.
  • FT will continue to work for the configured VMs. However in case of a failover, no new Secondary will be created.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

• HA will continue to work. It is configured through vCenter Server (i.e. vCenter Server configures the hosts), however it does not need vCenter Server to work. (see the link I provided in your other thread)
  • DRS will not work. Moving the VM's between hosts is a vCenter Server function.
  • FT will continue to work for the configured VMs. However in case of a failover, no new Secondary will be created.

André

0 Kudos
NuggetGTR
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

HA will still work if its been configured vcenter is not required for HA to function, only required to configue HA.

DRS requires vmotion which is a vcenter function so it will stop functioning.

FT im not 100% but i belive its the same as HA once configured through vcenter it will still function if vcenter was to go down. The primary and secondary vm exchange heartbeats to make sure both are available and if not then it fails over without the need of vcenter. but if vcenter is unavailable and and FT has failed to the secondary i believe you will need vcenter up and available to set it back up.

Cheers

*Edit a.p beat me to it Smiley Happy

________________________________________ Blog: http://virtualiseme.net.au VCDX #201 Author of Mastering vRealize Operations Manager
raffic_ncc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

1.VM's will Work,

2. vMotion Will not work

3. DRS will not work

4.FT will continue to work for the configured VMs. However in case of a failover, no new Secondary will be created

5.You will not be able to Deploy vm from templates

6. You cannot clone the VM

7. You can take a snapshot of VM by connecting to the Host using vSphere Client

8. HA will continue to work, you will not be able to change the configuration

9. dvSwith Continues to work ,you will not be able to change the configuration

10. vSwitch continuous to work, You can even make changes to vSwitch

Mohammed Raffic VCP4,VCP5,VCAP4-DCA,VCAP5-DCA,VCP-Cloud, MCSA.MCTS,CCA http://www.vmwarearena.com
rachelll
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi !!

Would you please tell me if shares, reservations and limits will work or not if vCenter is down ?

0 Kudos
hsgupta2021
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Team,

1.VM's will Work,
2. vMotion Will not work

3. DRS will not work

4.FT will continue to work for the configured VMs. However in case of a failover, no new Secondary will be created

5.You will not be able to Deploy vm from templates

6. You cannot clone the VM

7. You can take a snapshot of VM by connecting to the Host using vSphere Client

8. HA will continue to work, you will not be able to change the configuration

9. dvSwith Continues to work ,you will not be able to change the configuration

10. vSwitch continuous to work, You can even make changes to vSwitch

0 Kudos