VMware Cloud Community
Gabro88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vTPM on ESXi Free

Hi,
I've installed a free version of EXSi at home and I would like to add a vTPM to my VMs.
It's possible do with a free version?
Maybe with an external tool instead of the vCenter (that is not present in the free version)?
If it isn't possible, which is a minimum EXSi license that I need to buy?

Thanks in advance.

Nicola

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to do this without a KMS that has been registered in a vCenter Server that manages the ESXi host. Current vCenter Server version provide a native key provider out of the box. That said, the minimum requirement is a vSphere Essentials Kit that you need to use vTPM.

André

View solution in original post

3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to do this without a KMS that has been registered in a vCenter Server that manages the ESXi host. Current vCenter Server version provide a native key provider out of the box. That said, the minimum requirement is a vSphere Essentials Kit that you need to use vTPM.

André

Gabro88
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot André

0 Kudos
Thomas84
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I also ran into the problem with the need of a vcenter in my ESXi 8.0U1 free home lab to be able to create vTPM for Windows 11 guests. I am not willing to buy vmware essentials license for the 2x vms i am running at home on the free ESXi, as i am running the home lab just4fun (I am currently running the free version of "manageengine endpoint central" and a free document-archive from ECODMS on it). - It would be nice if VMware would solve the issue with the mandatory need of a vcenter for vtpm creation, perhaps having a vcenter version where only one free ESXi host can be integrated, or something like that. (And perhaps disable all vcenter options/advantages except the tpm key provider) !?

( Just to mention: On the other hand I am buying "VMWare Workstation"-license for my personal use for some years now, even when i only use it very rarely.)

0 Kudos