VMware Cloud Community
wvuMORVAC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSwitch vmnic failover question

For uplinks, what is the relationship of the port group NICs to the vSwitch NICs if they have different active/standby settings?  For example, if I have vSwitch0 and 3 port groups within that. 

Port Group 1 has 3 nics with override failover enabled.  2 active and 1 standby that do not match the vSwitch0 active/standby settings. 

Assume standard vswitch with physical nics connected to a 3 switch stack for general VM traffic. (not iscsi)

If a vmnic is listed as standby in the vSwitch, does that mean it is unavailable to the port group if selected as active there?  Is there any reason all of the vSwitch0 vmnics could not be listed as "active" and plugged into the switch stack?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

vSwitch failover order and configuration are similar to a baseline or policy for its own port groups. It means if you don't set up any configuration for the port group itself, they will use vSwitch settings for their uplinks failover order.

For example, if you set vmnic0 as active and vmnic1 as standby adapters in vSwitch configuration, it will be imported to all of its port group, until you modify them separately. So you can even set vmnic0 as standby and vmnic1 as active adapters for port group failover order, exactly vice versa of vSwitch config.  

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

vSwitch failover order and configuration are similar to a baseline or policy for its own port groups. It means if you don't set up any configuration for the port group itself, they will use vSwitch settings for their uplinks failover order.

For example, if you set vmnic0 as active and vmnic1 as standby adapters in vSwitch configuration, it will be imported to all of its port group, until you modify them separately. So you can even set vmnic0 as standby and vmnic1 as active adapters for port group failover order, exactly vice versa of vSwitch config.  

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos