VMware Cloud Community
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSwitch on Host

Please forgive the absurdness of this question, I have been out of the VM realm for a few years now and just just got thrown back into it.

On one of the hosts (there are 😎 some one created a port group for 2 VMs on the VM Network vswitch on one of the hosts. My question is what happens when I vMotion one or both of those hosts? Is that port group going to follow them to the new host? Or will they simply lose network connectivity?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

in order for vMotion to work, among other things, every host in the cluster must have the identical networking setup.  If you tried to vMotion and the configuration was not setup on your destination host, vMotion would fail during the validation process.  (You would get an error during validation why it can't migrate)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

in order for vMotion to work, among other things, every host in the cluster must have the identical networking setup.  If you tried to vMotion and the configuration was not setup on your destination host, vMotion would fail during the validation process.  (You would get an error during validation why it can't migrate)

0 Kudos
KGoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Troy.

I figured it was something simple like that. Thanks for clarifying!

0 Kudos