VMware Cloud Community
azsvdk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSwitch Stuck?

Hi all,

I have a very strange problem.

A while back I added a vSwitch named DB Network and proceeded to add it to two VMs. We weren't using the vSwitch anymore so I removed the network adapters (VMXNET3) from the two VMs and removed the vSwitch from the host configuration (through vCenter). However, when I look at the Summary tab for those two VMs, the DB Network still shows there as inactive. When I look at Networking, the DB Network is still showing. It says it has no hosts, but shows the two VMs.

Is there any way to manually remove that vSwitch through CLI or something? I tried adding it back to the host and the VMs, removing again, with no luck. It's still there and the VMs think they're connected to it.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This usually happens if the VM has active snapshots, which were created at the time the network was still connected. The information is kept in case you'd decide to revert to a snapshot in which case the configuration would be reverted too. As soon as you delete the snapshots, the "ghost" netork will be removed too.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

This usually happens if the VM has active snapshots, which were created at the time the network was still connected. The information is kept in case you'd decide to revert to a snapshot in which case the configuration would be reverted too. As soon as you delete the snapshots, the "ghost" netork will be removed too.

André

0 Kudos
azsvdk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Perfect! Thank you. A "by design" issue. :smileylaugh:

The snapshots actually pre-dated the vSwitch but that was definitely the cause.

0 Kudos