VMware Cloud Community
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere with NO DNS server?

Is a DNS required for vSphere with vCenter?  The existing server environment does not have one and the applications that will be running on the VMs do not require it either.  Everything is just in the same workgroup.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

Yes.  you want to have your hosts configured with DNS.  I would think you may have issues with the host communicating with vCenter.  There may be HA and DRS issues as well. 

Also, Update Manager may not be able to apply patches properly.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor

Can the vCenter server VM be configured with the DNS role?  I know it can't be on a domain controller but can it have the DNS role?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

AFAIK Yes it can.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

I'll just chime in to what the other guys have said - when using Update Manager without proper DNS, all updates will fail bacause the resolution of update server on the ESXi host happens at hostname-level.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor

DJ,

Sorry, but what was the Yes an answer to?  That it can work without DNS or that the vCenter Server VM can operate as the DNS provider?

Thank you for the help.

Alex

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

I think he meant you can add a DNS role for the vCenter server - but why won't you deploy a simple 1vCPU 1.5GB RAM VM solely for the DNS purpose? This way if your vCenter goes down your name resolution services won't be available and I'm sure you wouldn't want that Smiley Happy

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
munkyman
Contributor
Contributor

Alistar,

I was hoping to save a Windows license but your suggestion sounds like the way to go.

Thanks for the help!

Alex

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Ÿou can always use a simple linux box for DNS to save on licensing  - provided you are willing to step into uncharted waters and are willing to learn something new along the way Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

>Can the vCenter server VM be configured with the DNS role?  I know it can't be on a domain controller but can it have the DNS role?

What I meant was you can configure DNS and vCenter server on the same host.

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Just to add one more point:  I recently migrated my Windows DNS server to Infoblox solution  Smiley Wink

Network Services (DNS, DHCP, IPAM) | Infoblox

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos