VMware Cloud Community
gangrel1234
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere vCenter extremely slow

currently have v4 vcenter server running with esx3.5 hosts. We will be upgrading the hosts shortly. vCenter is currently a VM and SQL 2005 on a separate VM. All other Vm's that currently run in the cluster have really good responsive times. The esx hosts are being reported as disconnected not responding, all hosts are up and running. Must mention that we had to split the cluster due to the 8 host / 40VM limitation. restarting the mgmt services has no difference. Any help will be appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What looks the vcenter config like?

RAM

CPU

underlying disk

??

Thx for information!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

Well, what is exact issue? Is this vCenter VM slow? Or would you like help with these disconnections? If first, then please tell how many resources did you give to this vm.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
0 Kudos
gangrel1234
Contributor
Contributor

hi

vcenter config is as follows : 4Gb Ram, 4cpu's, 20Gb OS partition, 50 Gb data partition, EMC DMX3 san storage with 2mb block writes.

thanks

0 Kudos
gangrel1234
Contributor
Contributor

the issue is all of the above, vcenter extremely slow and all hosts report as disconnected. vpxa.cfg has all the correct entries, ie no loopback address etc...

vcenter config 4gb ram, 4cpu's, 20 gb os and 50 gb data

thanks

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

At first I woulf to give the server only 2 vcpus to see what the performance than look like.

I've heared from many consultants that a vcenter a vm should not manage more then 50 vms in a cluster!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
gangrel1234
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for the info, have also heard that, our hosts don't currently manage more than 45 Vm's, 45 is our limit, this is a test cluster that is used for prestaging and functionality testing prior to prod release. will give it 2cpu's and see if it makes a difference.

thanks

0 Kudos
mlubinski
Expert
Expert

I would also follow up recommendation of "krowczynski", so decrease vCPU to 2. Then please check version of ESX hosts (if they are running Update4), also check if name resolution is correct.

Try to edit /etc/hosts entering all othere ESX IPs/Names in each esx host to see if this helps.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

[I]If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points[/I]
gangrel1234
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks for the quick response, changing to 2cpu's has seemed to improve the performance, slowly able to re-add the hosts

0 Kudos
krowczynski
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That is great!

You're welcome!!

MCP, VCP

MCP, VCP3 , VCP4
0 Kudos
amvmware
Expert
Expert

Are you running any additional plugins on the vcenter server such as update manager. If you are try removing some of these as i have been told by VMware that theses can contribute to poor performance. If you have installed the plugins - where are the server roles installed.

Don't forget to leave points for helpful/correct posts.

0 Kudos