VMware Cloud Community
marklawler84
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere update hanging at 45%

Hi There,

I am running two ESXi 4.0.0 (Build 193498) servers and have just attempted to update them using vSphere Host Update Utility to v4u1

I set them both off to go at once, and they have both been hanging at 45% complete for about 20 minutes now. Has anyone else experienced this? What is going on? There is nothing in the event logs and I have no way of knowing any status as far as I know.

Any help?

Here is the output:

Patching myserver.local

Start uploading files to host

Metadata and binaries have been successfully uploaded

Scanning the host completed

Start installing patches

Installing patches on myserver.local : ESXi400-200911201-UG, ESXi400-200911202-UG, ESXi400-200911203-UG, ESXi400-Update01

Trying to put the host into maintenance mode

Entered maintenance mode successfully

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

It can take a while. Are/were your guests suspended/migrated since ESXi will reboot automatically?

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
Shingi
Contributor
Contributor

You must wait. I update my ESXi today. It hanging at 45% too. I wait about 3 hours and after that it reboot. And now it fine work.

I update from Host Update Utility. It download patches and update from Internet.

marklawler84
Contributor
Contributor

Yep, ended up completing after about 30 mins. Always a little scary appliying updates to ESXi Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Shingi
Contributor
Contributor

I think that Host Update Utility slow download in my update job:) I cann't make update from .zip on local drive...Host Update Utility is hanging when check capability:(

0 Kudos