VMware Cloud Community
DCSmanager
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere setup with DELL Powerconnect 6224 x 2 - vMotion no longer works?

Hi there.

We had the following configuration to start:

3 x HP DL380 G6 ESX4 Hosts

1 x Equallogic SAN (PS6000XV)

2 x Dlink 3100 xStack Switches

Everything including vMotion was working as it should be but DELL in their wisdom wouldnt support the EQL box with the D-Link switches so we replaced these with 2 Powerconnect 6224's and now vMotion will not work

We had the D-links setup with 4 vlans (1 was default and didnt have any ports associated) The other 3 were:

1) Service MGMT

2) vMotion

3) SAN

Cant seem to get the DELL to do the same? Once i take the ports from the default and allocate them to a vlan i lose managment contact with the switch. Also vMotion doesnt work and sits at 10% mark when it is tested.

I have followed the DELL config document for the 6224 as much as i could but still no joy. They are saying its a VMware issue now (even though it worked on the D-LINK switches!!)

Does anybody have any ideas? Is the config right to have 3 seperate vlans for these roles? The only 2 things i'd like to do it get all 3 vlans working and also ensure that i cant still connect to the gui/ping of course and that vMotion works as well.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Lagislav
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this same issue with the Powerconnect 6224 switches. Any help configuring the VLAN's on these would be greatly appreciated, even though the OS on them closely mimics Cisco, there seems to be something that is missing. If anyone out there has config'd these and knows the trick of making them happy. Please let us know. I have been beating myself up the past 2 weeks on this problem. I have searched high and dry and found nothing. FYI I also called VMware and confirmed my settings on the VMware side just to make 100% sure my issues were with the switches. Thanks!

0 Kudos
habibalby
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

I have just installed PowerConnect 6220 stacked Switches and I face some issue when I connect to the ESX and the VMs where hosted on the ESX are having issue. I resolved it by overriding the Teaming in the vSwitch and portgroups to have vmnic0 active and vmnic1 unused for the reset of the portgroups and vice versa.

Any luck and best practice configuration of PowerConnect Switches and ESX Servers?

Thanks,

Best Regards, Hussain Al Sayed Consider awarding points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

The 6xxx series support VLAN without big issue.

Go under the menu switching and configure to port to the different VLAN.

Or, if you prefer, use the CLI that is quite similar to HP or Cisco IOS syntax

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos