VMware Cloud Community
Showflash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere "There are no devices reserved for PCI Passthrough on the host"

Hey All,

I am running an evaluation copy of VMware vSphere 5.1 on a Dell T-410 server Quad Core -w- 32GB of RAM.  I am not running vCenter.  I installed this many moons ago after attending a class on VMware vSphere and am now just using it because I need to restudy the materials.  I have 40 days left on the evaluation.

I am trying add support to a PCIe card in VMware vSphere to a CentOS Linux client.  (Note that all of the clients respond similarly.) 

When I click on the Client, and then "Edit Settings" > I see the "Virtual Machine Properties" dialog window, and the ADD button.

When I click on ADD, I see the following:

"PCI Device (unavailable)." 

Clicking on the grayed out PCI Device reveals that:

This device cannot be added to this Virtual Macine because:

There are no devices reserved for PCI Passthrough on the host

---------------------------------

I've looked in a number of places but saw no clear information regarding how to ADD a PCIe device, or PCI Passthough Device. 

Can you point me to the Forum Posts or Documentation regarding this operation?

Do I have to run an Evaluation copy of vCenter to pull this off?  (And are Evaluation copies of vCenter even available?)

Thanks,

Tommy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffInouye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

select the host and then you will see the configuration tab.   the advanced settings is on the bottom left.

ok just saw your message...good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffInouye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is something I found.  I have never used directpath i/o but this looks to have a list that is in line with the kb article (but more visuals/steps):

Sysadmin Stories: VMware DirectPath I/O - adding passthrough PCI devices to VM

Showflash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you,

I've seen similar instructions.  There is no vSphere Client "Configuration" TAB to be seen.  Cannot locate "Advanced Settings"

I've got, "Getting Started," "Summary," "Resource Allocation," "Performance," "Events," "Console," and "Permissions"

Not sure where to go from here?

0 Kudos
Showflash
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh... wait, I see the tab Configuration now, and I'm taking a look at it.  For those who come upon this issue, click on the topmost object in the left hand window of the vSphere Client interface.  On my interface, that is the IP address of the VMware server.

Thank you for helping me.  I managed to already add the device for passthough and restarted the VMware vSphere.

Sincerely,

Tommy

0 Kudos
JeffInouye
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

select the host and then you will see the configuration tab.   the advanced settings is on the bottom left.

ok just saw your message...good luck!

0 Kudos