VMware Cloud Community
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere is 64bit. But, why canit I install 64bit operating system on it?

vSphere is 64bit. But, when I installed a 64bit operating system such as Win2003 64bit, it said

Attemping to load an X64 operatinf system. however this CPU is not compatible with x64 mode. Please install a 32-bit x86 operation system.

Why? is it my CPU is 32bit? How can I detect it on VMware?

Thanks!

George

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
billhill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Troy and vmroyale are correct... you should definately check to ensure that your processor(s) are 64-bit capable and the BIOS is properly configured.

Is the ESX host connected to vCenter for management or are you connecting to the host directly with the vSphere client? Typically, connecting to a vCenter server will enable the Hardware Status tab.

The following is the vSphere client when connecting to a server managed by vCenter:

The following is the vSphere client when connecting to the server directly:

Another route for determining the CPU model is using the Summary tab:

- Connect to the server using the vSphere client

- Select the ESX host

- Select the "Summary" tab, if not already selected

- Look for the Processor Type in the General:

In the situation above, you can see that the server is running Intel 5140 processors. You can use that model to query against the ark.intel.com site from above to determine the CPU functions.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you must enable VT (Intel) AMD-V (AMD) in the ESX Hosts BIOS to be able to run 64bit guests. Once enabled, if the server doesn't power down itself, power it down, then power back on.

billhill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi George,

One way you can identify if VMware is running on a 64-bit processor is:

- Start vSphere Client

- Select your ESX host

- Select the Hardware Status tab

- Break down the "Processor" tree

- Look for: "Data width in bits: "

- Ideally, it should say "64 bits"

~Bill

vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hello.

Check out kb 1003945.

Good Luck!

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

" Select the Hardware Status tab"

Sorry, I can't see it.

Please help me.

Thanks!

George

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you cannot configure this within the client. This is a hardware issue. Follow the KB article that was posted above.

Also, i'll assume you have Intel and post a listing off all their CPU's. Check your to see if it is VT-x capable.

http://ark.intel.com/VTList.aspx

0 Kudos
billhill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Troy and vmroyale are correct... you should definately check to ensure that your processor(s) are 64-bit capable and the BIOS is properly configured.

Is the ESX host connected to vCenter for management or are you connecting to the host directly with the vSphere client? Typically, connecting to a vCenter server will enable the Hardware Status tab.

The following is the vSphere client when connecting to a server managed by vCenter:

The following is the vSphere client when connecting to the server directly:

Another route for determining the CPU model is using the Summary tab:

- Connect to the server using the vSphere client

- Select the ESX host

- Select the "Summary" tab, if not already selected

- Look for the Processor Type in the General:

In the situation above, you can see that the server is running Intel 5140 processors. You can use that model to query against the ark.intel.com site from above to determine the CPU functions.

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Thanks for all your guys.

but, I still have question for vSphereClient. on my screen it has no many options, please see the picture.

because my vSphere is evaluation, right?

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

no, as Billhil indicated..its because you are connected directly to the server. you need to have installed virtual center and have your hosted added to it to see the other information.

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks!

george

0 Kudos
George_Yu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"you need to have installed virtual center and have your hosted added to it to see the other information. "

I installed vCentre Server on XP (on Win7, here was some problem about database). Please look the picture above.

How can I use it like billhill said Entered into it?

0 Kudos
billhill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi George,

Sadly, the screenshot you provided does not show any errors. Rather, it is showing a Start Menu listing of the Tomcat applications that are installed with the vCenter Server.

If you could provide the error messages about the database, that would be great.

Also, what happens when you open the vSphere client on the XP machine and try to log into the vCenter Server on 'localhost'?

Thanks!

~Bill

0 Kudos