VMware Cloud Community
frag
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere client timeout problems in vista

Hi,

We have some strange timeout issues with the vSphere client when connecting to standalone ESXi 4 servers. On one vista machine it works OK, on the rest (about 10 machines) it produces the error in the attached image when clicking around in the GUI (changing between tabs or whatever). All client machines resides on the same subnet, including the one without any problems, and all client machines has no problem what so ever when connecting to our standalone ESXi 3.5 servers.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Fredrik

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
nsolop
Expert
Expert

Hi Fredrik, any messages on the log files?. You can set a larger remote command timeout going to Edit/Client Settings/Remote Command TimeOut/Use Custom Value.

Saludos/Regards

Nicolas Solop

Buenos Aires, Argentina

-

Mi empresa

Mi perfil en LinkedIn

Grupo de Virtualizacion en español de Linkedin

-

frag
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your reply. We tried to change the mentioned setting to 60 seconds, but we are still getting the same error. I think that even 60 seconds is an enourmous timeout since the latency between the servers and the clients is about 1ms RTT.

I have attached the log file and only cleared the server name. I appreciate any help. Smiley Happy

Regards,

Fredrik

0 Kudos
nsolop
Expert
Expert

Hi, is this timeout happening on another computer running the VI Client against the same servers?

Regards,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
frag
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, yes. As I stated in my first message, we have about 10 machines where the problem occurs, and only one where it doesn't. We have tried against three differenst ESXi 4.0 stand-alone servers and it is the same result on each one of them. If we use the client agains any of our ESXi 3.5 stand-alone servers, the issue does not appear though.

Regards,

Fredrik

0 Kudos
Iuridae
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We are experience the same timeouts on our vSphere Clients, and it doesn't matter which type we are trying to connect to, ESX 3.5/4.0, vCenter 2.5/4.0 or even ESXi. Now and then we get a timeout, for no reason. Those with this timeouts are using Windows Vista 32-bit Buisness.

When connecting to the same host/vCenter using WinXP or Win2003 the issue isn't here, everything works fast without timeout. This is really annoying and I would to have a explaination for it since I can't find a solution for it.

/iuridae

0 Kudos
dlbromley
Contributor
Contributor

If you connect by IP does it connect? I would also try looking at DNS, are all clients IP config the same? Also, make sure Time/zone is correct on all clients

0 Kudos
BostonZenos
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing timeouts as well with my vSphere Client v4.0.0 running on Vista. The problem occurs when clicking from tab to tab, or from machine to machine, within the vSphere client. Timeouts do not seem to occur when operating within a machine. I have experienced these timeout errors with my client, to various ESX 4.0 hosts. Other users can connect wo the same ESX hosts without any errors, so it is specific to my client. I have shut down Windows FW service. I have also turned off Symantec service on my Vista client. I have reduced MTU on my client to 1400. I have tried changing the VM Compatibility setting to make my machine appear to be an XPSP2 machine. With a hub connected between the client and the ESX host, traces show that the problem coincides with the server not responding to a request from the client, and after exactly 30 seconds, the client will reset the TCP session. Other sessions can be going on during this time between the devices, and a continuous ping shows sub 1mS for all packets during this time.

Anything left to try?

0 Kudos
frag
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

We have solved our timeout issues in vista by applying the unofficial Windows 7 fix, so maybe you can try that?

BR,

Fredrik

0 Kudos
BostonZenos
Contributor
Contributor

That's exactly what I was going to do. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Vinas
Contributor
Contributor

It's unfortunate that VMware has no proper support for Windows 7, yet... Too busy renaming products I presume?

Maybe some EMC managment will change this philosiphy, because we shouldn't have to apply a hack to get support for a MS OS. I expect this with a *nix distro but come on, lets get the egg of our virtual faces please.

0 Kudos