VMware Cloud Community
TiborMarchyn
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere client and Windows 7 compatibility

When will be vSphere client compatible with Windows 7? or is there any way to connect to vSphere server or vCenter server???

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
47 Replies
obsidian009
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
TheTechMan
Contributor
Contributor

The resolution is to Install XP? This is a resolution? Oh, wait, or you can bypass .NET framework? FIX IT!

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Like the last user said. It is fixed with vSphere 4.0 U1. I run Windows 7 x64 and have no issues connecting to a vCenter 4.0u1 server without any work arounds.

• Kyle

-- Kyle "RParker wrote: I guess I was wrong, everything CAN be virtualized "
0 Kudos
TheTechMan
Contributor
Contributor

OK, but I'm not running Update 1 on my ESXi servers. I cannot find a location to download the client files for Update 1 from in the Download center, because it is bundled with the installation, correct? So, how do i upgrade a client to Update 1 without bothering with the mess ESXi 4 Update 1 creates on my production hosts?

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you download the vCenter (not ESXi, even though it might still have it) 4.0 U1 disk the installer is there for you to pull off. I forget the exact location but there is a "vmware-viclient.exe"

• Kyle

0 Kudos
TheTechMan
Contributor
Contributor

OK... seems messy. You'd think that due to the Windows 7 compatibility, VMware would make a separate download available to specifically address this concern, as it's been almost a year. To resolve this issue for users running ESXi 4 w/o Update 1 in a nutshell:

1. Download a 350 MB file, extract the files, search for the client.exe file, distribute it to users running Windows 7.

2. Run it without .NET support.

3. Run it on Windows XP.

Messy, but true, right?

0 Kudos
khughes
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If that is your outlook on this situation, so be it. This is starting to fall under the catagory of "why doesn't my unsupported driver work, VMware should add it so 10 people can use this 5 yr old server", granted the origional problem was a bigger problem than that. The whole .NET / Run in XP was a workaround until update 1 was released, but the point now is a fix was released. If you don't have a vCenter server, and running free ESXi then there are things like this you'll run into, the price of being free. If you have a vCenter server, upgrading your vCenter server to Update 1 is a pretty painless process which can be done during the day and then you don't have to distribute, they can just upgrade from the vCenter server.

I really don't see how downloading a CD and pulling off a 141MB file and distributing it on a Net Share/USB/CD is really that big of a deal until you upgrade your servers to U1. I'm not here to debate VMware's patch releases, their work-arounds, or how we think they should run their company, my origional post was to state that - Using the VIclient from 4.0U1 runs fine on Windows 7, end of story.

• Kyle

0 Kudos
TheTechMan
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.0 is 5 years old? Really? If a software package needs to be updated to be compatible with a new OS, distribute as such, separately. It's a no brainer, tried and true for 20+ years. I guarantee there are dozens of SysAdmins like myself who are asking 'How can I allow my VM Admins access to ESXi with my new Windows 7 machines easily?', search the chasm and find the same answer: Use XP, forego .NET, or install Update 1. Oh, or patch .NET and rewrite the shortcuts to the console on a dozen workstations. It's clear the easiest answer is 'Download the Updated Client Installer here'.

I appreciate your loyalty to your vendor. Most companies like to make things easier for their users, though. I did take them 6+ months to fix it in the first place, right? Say what you like, but you're not correct.

0 Kudos