VMware Cloud Community
TiborMarchyn
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere client and Windows 7 compatibility

When will be vSphere client compatible with Windows 7? or is there any way to connect to vSphere server or vCenter server???

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
47 Replies
obsidian009
Contributor
Contributor

lol, sorry...sarcasm doesn't always translate over that well in chat, forums,etc when you don't know the person. I really thought you were off your rocker Smiley Happy Glad to hear you're not!

VMware -- what's the word on this?!

0 Kudos
andrebrownjm
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I really thought you were severely misinformed Smiley Happy I was wondering what you were even doing in the ESX forum :smileygrin:

The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
0 Kudos
obsidian009
Contributor
Contributor

I feel better, it wasn't just me that missed the sarcasm and thought you were crazy Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm glad to see other people upset by this as well. They've had months and months to fix this problem but haven't. As mentioned before, this could have been tested during the beta phases, the RC phases, after it went RTM, or even between then and now. They've had months.

The glacial speed at which this is being looked at concerns me about what else might be going on within VMware.

0 Kudos
obsidian009
Contributor
Contributor

VMware please respond.

0 Kudos
bshacklett
Contributor
Contributor

I put in a support request about this issue earlier today and I was assured that they are working steadily towards releasing a fix. I was not given a time-frame, but I was told to keep an eye on the KB article that describes the issue ().

I realize this isn't a whole lot of new information, but I do feel better knowing that they consider it an important matter.

0 Kudos
Brad_P
Contributor
Contributor

I have to agree with the sentiments here. At first I was just angry that VMware had not updated their client so that I could use it with the flashy new operating system. But, as this was just the first in the long line of product disappointments since the vSphere release, it's made me a bit concerned.

Can't they just release a ThinApp'd version of the client that doesn't have to be installed, and contains its own .NET libraries?

0 Kudos
TheSparrow
Contributor
Contributor

My guess is that the problem is so minor that figuring out a way to provide a free thinapp license for it would take more time then fixing the bug. It seems that lately VMware is concentrating more of their time and efforts into sending me SPAM than improving or fixing their products that we pay dearly for.

VMware, There was a reason that people paid a higher price for your product than the competitor's. Your product was reliable, worked, and offered better support. Now that you are showing that you really don't prioritize fixing the product for paying customers you can cross off the support and works off the list. I am already finding it hard to justify to the finance guys why you are worth paying more for, don't make it even harder!

0 Kudos
jarends3
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is that ThinApp does not work on Windows 7 right now.

0 Kudos
jcrivellovt
Contributor
Contributor

This is getting ridiculous. Since the vSphere 4 release I have had not one, not two but three issues of critical severity like this one (this is actually the most moderate of the three). I don't understand what is causing VMWare to change for the worse like this, but it's truly astonishing and very frustrating.

VMWare products are ridiculously expensive. Problems like this add insult to injury.

That I still have to use the vSphere client from inside remote desktop even after Windows 7 GA (and with very annoying performance problems) is borderline unforgiveable.

We run a Microsoft shop and my team has been pushing me to evaluate HyperV. I think I have just reached the point where I am willing to do so.

-Joe

0 Kudos
bshacklett
Contributor
Contributor

I'm very wary of Hyper-V. Virtual infrastructure is not a place I'd like to get locked into a specific vendor with. Don't forget that there are quite a few hypervisors out there at the moment. I recently spoke to someone who switched from VMWare to VirtualIron and has been very happy with the transition. Xenserver is also an option. I've been waiting on Sun's XVM server for some time now, but it looks like vaporware at this point.

0 Kudos
jcrivellovt
Contributor
Contributor

Why is Microsoft HyperV vendor lock-in any different from VMWare vendor lock-in?

0 Kudos
SurfControl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I 2nd that...

0 Kudos
bshacklett
Contributor
Contributor

It's not, but I trust VMWare more than I do Microsoft when it comes to that sort of activity. I've been burned by in the past with Microsoft software and I've yet to have many bad experiences yet with VMWare.

0 Kudos
TheSparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, I have far more trust in Microsoft releasing compatibility updates within 6 months of a problem becoming apparent. As lousy and unresponsive as Microsoft is, I could never imagine them being as lazy and/or incompetent as VMware has been in this regards. I too am being pressured into investigating Hyper-V, and I am running out of arguments, especially when VMware pulls crap like this.

0 Kudos
jcrivellovt
Contributor
Contributor

Exactly. I have never had a critical issue like any of the three VMWare issues that I mentioned previously that Microsoft did not scramble to fix or develop a workaround for. I have simply never faced a Microsoft problem that had no solution (excluding problems that could be classified as feature improvements).

Microsoft may be the evil empire but they run their empire pretty well, certainly better than VMWare.

0 Kudos
TheSparrow
Contributor
Contributor

I understand your point about other Hypervisors, but the biggest difference is that for many ESX customers the switch to Hyper-V is free in regards to licensing. We are a Microsoft shop and literally could switch to Hyper-V without any additional licensing fees whatsoever. So yeah, it may not be the best solution, and it may have its shortcomings, but it is literally infinitely cheaper than ESX in regards to licensing and support. Paying many thousands of dollars for support agreements gets frustrating if you aren't getting the support you expect for the price. With Hyper-V lower cost of licensing = lower expectations.

Our company chose to buy the BMW of virtualization packages so to speak, now we are getting the runaround I would expect from the Hyundai dealer. Next time I might as well switch to a Hyundai and save some cash.

0 Kudos
dazed1
Contributor
Contributor

Sparrow wouldn't you get sick of the whine from that Hyundai? :smileygrin: We have been an ESX shot since the good old GSX days. While there have been some errors along the way and the growing pains that go with it, for the most part these have been few and far between.

That said, having the VMware tech's tell you that Windows 7 isn't supportted and the work around is to install a VM of XP on the laptop I use for work really seems crazy to me. I'll just continue to RDP to my VCenter hosts until a correction is made. I hope it happens before January :_|

Mike

0 Kudos
TheSparrow
Contributor
Contributor

Oh I agree, but better to have a whiny Hyundai, than a BMW that takes 6 months in the shop for something as simple as an oil change (not saying BMW service takes this long, saying that VMware does). I have been running ESX for many years now, I have been hired on to two companies specifically to implement a virtualization environment. I have chosen ESX every time due to unquestionable technical superiority. I attended the "Hyper-V" launch last year and was not dissuaded even though it is essentially free. However, this incredibly lame response from VMware has indeed made me question their technological prowess. If they can't manage to get their management client to run on Windows 7 within 8 months of it being brought to their attention, well that is just plain idiotic. The amount I budget towards VMware support is not insignificant, and quite honestly, I expect better support than this. VMware has dropped the ball on this one, not only that, but they seem to refuse to pick it up. Every time I need to get into vSphere I curse a little, disgusted at VMware's lack of follow-through. It just so happens that this is several times a day for me. So what was once a minor annoyance, has built in to a full on aggravation. Instead of being able to use my multi-monitor setup for managing our VM deployment, I am stuck in a RDP window. I could revert back to XP or Vista, but I am not going to, because I am not going to stay behind technologically just because VMware is unable to be flexible to change.

0 Kudos
obsidian009
Contributor
Contributor

I simply want a statement from VMware acknowledging that they're working on it, along with a time frame as to when we might expect it.

0 Kudos