VMware Cloud Community
vipes27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Web Client

We're running vSphere 5.5 and I went to edit the settings of one of our VMs and I get the message, "You cannot use the vSphere client to edit the settings of virtual machines of version 10 or higher. Use the vSphere web client to edit the settings of this virtual machine." It only does this on one server and I'm not sure when it started or how I install/use the vSphere web client.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you do not want to use the web client, you can always revert the VM to hardware version 9 or below. This can be done by powering off the VM and editing the vmx file:

virtualHW.version = "10"

Change this line to:

virtualHW.version = "9"

Then power on the VM and you will be able to edit the settings without the web client.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

for small environments the vcenter web client is also installed on the vcenter server.

so you can go to https://hostname.domain.ch:9443/vsphere-client

another possibility is to download the lastest 5.5 client client where you also can edit VMs with hardware level 10

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
brunofernandez1
Jump to solution

btw here some lecture 4 you:

vSphere Documentation Center

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you do not want to use the web client, you can always revert the VM to hardware version 9 or below. This can be done by powering off the VM and editing the vmx file:

virtualHW.version = "10"

Change this line to:

virtualHW.version = "9"

Then power on the VM and you will be able to edit the settings without the web client.

0 Kudos
vipes27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, thank you. I'd rather edit all of the servers in one place so I'll try this.Where do I edit the vmx file?

0 Kudos
homerzzz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Power off the VM.

Go to you datastore that the VM resides and "Browse Datastore" via you vSphere Client. Find the folder containing your VM and Download the .vmx file to your local machine. Make a backup copy before you edit it with your favorite text editor. Once you finish the edit, go back to your vSphere Client and and use the "Upload files to this datastore" to replace the .vmx file with the newly modified one.

Or, if you are familiar with vi, you can ssh to the host and edit the .vmx file with vi.

0 Kudos