VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Web Client is so bad that my experience managing and supporting VMware has turn to....

Purpose of this post is simple and obvious...  bring back development to thick client.  THANKS!

720 Replies
pkvm
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I fully agree with all negative comments related

to vSphere Web Client presented here, starting from

post made by kgottleib.

I am using VMware enterprise products such as VI or vSphere since 2007.

Client tool is fundamental tool needed by administrators,

so administrators' work based on bad tool is bad work.

In  my opinion, vSphere Web Client is the worst software tool

released by VMware during those 8 years.

So VMware please change your approach and let the vSphere Client (Windows, C#)

do all work instead of vSphere Web Client.

Or at least, leave us both (vSphere Client and vSphere Web Client)

fully functional clients in current and all future versions of vSphere.

0 Kudos
ASchepers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree. Have been managing VMware ESX(i) installs since 2004 or thereabout, became VCP2, 3, 4 and 5 and was loving every bit of it. Unfortunately, the web client is one of the worst administration consoles to have ever been developed.

It's way, way worse than Novell's old ConsoleOne (running Java 1.2, mind you). It's even far worse than MS SCCM 2007's cluttered mess. It's right there with the ancient HP JetDirect Java-based web clients in the Windows 95 era.

Please VMware, ditch the web client and give us a native Windows and Mac/Linux management console.

0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

A picture's worth a thousand words lol

vmware.png

AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

It seems that VMware is improving the web client in version 6.0 here: The New vSphere 6.0 Web Client | Mount Virtual beased on that report from one of the director. But obviously it is only tested in the internal lab session not in the real world workload.

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
jinksys
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I completely agree and I just wanted to take the time to reply and reinforce the point being made. There isn't much if anything I can say about the web client that hasn't already been said, it's a complete pile of junk as well as SSO and most of the products that fall under the A** kissing cloud pitch. It's very frustrating to see a constant stream of announcements about half baked "beta" products that we couldn't even consider if they weren't half baked because the core layer (VC) is falling apart. It doesn't matter how much you vRealize, if you don't get the core components fixed, it really is only a matter of time.

0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This is a clear case of the tail wagging the dog.

When the "corner office" types wrestle control of a company like VMware from its founders, they start telling the consumers what they want, instead of listening to their needs. Rather than giving us a single platform to move forward on, VMware has created the worst hybrid piece of crap most of us have ever experienced.

• Requires flash
  • Crashes most browsers on a regular basis
  • Both the client browser and Web Client Server are resource hogs
  • Even if I wanted to use the web-client, I still need the C# client for specific tasks

I ONLY use the web client for tasks that have no parallel in the C# client. Thanks VMware for making me regularly use two client platforms to access my environment.

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Many admins seem to take the Virtual Machine Version as some required upgrade. It is, quite simply not so! The Virtual Machine Version number is merely a definition of maximums, therefore if you do not need to allocate 64 vCPU to a VM, leave the version at 8 and avoid the difficulties associated with managing a later VM version with the C# client.

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

unsichtbare wrote:

• Even if I wanted to use the web-client, I still need the C# client for specific tasks

I ONLY use the web client for tasks that have no parallel in the C# client. Thanks VMware for making me regularly use two client platforms to access my environment.

It's even worse if you use the EMC plugins.  I have to bounce back and forth between the two clients all the time because some features made it over here, others are over there, EMC adds new features to the web client while ignoring the c# plugin, but some feature is still only in the c# plugin, etc.  It's so friggin' annoying. 

0 Kudos
devzero
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Regarding web-Clients and plugins - you should have a look at EMC VNX/Celerra. Oh god....

0 Kudos
foodandbikes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Like others, I keep forcing myself to use the web-client because soon enough it will be the main way to manage my infrastructure.

The waiting for it to do ANYTHING is ridiculous and is my single biggest complaint.

I came here seeing if there were any ways of speeding it up, but I was presented with 200+ posts supporting my frustration.

I was super excited about web-client when it first came out. All it took was 5 minutes of use to realize it's something I will avoid at all costs due to poor performance and lack of an intuitive interface.

0 Kudos
mattdreyer
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I am happy to announce that brand new vSphere 6.0 release has just been posted for download at https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere/6_0.  This is a major vSphere release that includes a number of new features, refinements to existing features, and a massively improved Web Client.   The early feedback from our beta users has been quite positive and we are excited to see what you have to say.

Please download vCenter Server 6.0 today and let us know what you think.

-Matt

Matt Dreyer

vSphere Product Management

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

mattdreyer wrote:

I am happy to announce that brand new vSphere 6.0 release

Why on earth would you be happy to announce that VMware didn't listen to anyone and went and produced another Flash client?

hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm pleased to announce that our product is still based on technology that gets hacked constantly, which means many companies forbid its use on their management networks; too bad.  It's like this thread doesn't exist; well like this thread and html5 both don't exist.

0 Kudos
Gabrie1
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Installed vCenter Server Appliance 6 last night. Running it in my home lab with Chrome. I can confirm speed is much much better. Loading of menu's is almost instant. Finding the items I need has greatly improved. Yes, things are in a different place then with Windows Client, but that is just taking some getting used to.

Have to run to get to work now, but my first impression is good.

For the haters on 5.x Web Client, please get vSphere 6 in your lab and try to get a new fresh view 🙂

http://www.GabesVirtualWorld.com
0 Kudos
chrmaier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

mattdreyer schrieb:

we are excited to see what you have to say.

Matt Dreyer

vSphere Product Management

I tell you what we have to say. WE DON'T WANT IT AT ALL! Sorry for ranting but it seems you don't hear us.

kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sorry to have to say this but all of you at vmware that support the use of 2 clients to support 1 technology to access certain features are complete and utter idiots that are truly ass kissing VMware to the point where you have your head up vmware's ass and can no longer see the lite of day. 

0 Kudos
beefy147
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

couldnt agree more!

I have standardised on v8 hardware and am happy with this. Until we have a requirement for 9/10/11 HW we will stay on v8 Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Naashan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm not moving any further than 5.1 (and VM version 9) until absolutely necessary. If we remain ignored I will most likely move to hyper-v. My company is small and there's no reason to downgrade to a higher version. Backups and restores are 100% dependable, users are happy, and life is good.Web clients for complex apps are like sliding down a razor blade into a pool of alcohol. No thanks.

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson
0 Kudos
wkfoster
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yeah we are in the same boat. We are not moving any further than 5.1 until someone pulls their head out of the sand. With all of the money we have spent on hardware I cant afford to have these software problems. We tried out the web client and boy is it terrible. I really dont understand why they cant just have both and let us continue using the actual client.

Truly disappointed.

0 Kudos
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys, the vSphere 6 web client is much much better. I have been beta testing v6. I really think everyone is doing themselves a dis-service by refusing to upgrade from older versions of ESX, because you are losing features and stability. And lets be realistic, the thick client is gone.

0 Kudos