VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Web Client is so bad that my experience managing and supporting VMware has turn to....

Purpose of this post is simple and obvious...  bring back development to thick client.  THANKS!

720 Replies
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I love to see new comments in this thread, because it serves to emphasize what happens when the people in charge (AKA: VMware Management) gets so far removed from their customers that they actively develop a product that nobody wants. Sure, there are a few yes men who say that the Web Client is "not bad" or "they don't mind using it," but find me one honest endorsement by someone that actually thinks the web client is better than the C#?

Sure the Web-Client and HTML5 UI (AKA "Client") get better as versions go by, but they are not reaching anything close to parity with the C# client!

We made a tough decision at work; we are going to split our cluster in two, leaving many workloads requiring regular management on 6.0 (until 6.0 is no longer supported) and we are moving fewer or more stable workloads to a 6.5/6/7 cluster.

We will continue to renew SnS on all sockets, but I wonder how many customers simply will not renew VMware SnS, deeming the move to 6.5+ inadvisable?

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
mikejroberts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I held off on upgrading to 6.5 until two days.  One of the first tasks I tried in the HTML5 client was assigning permissions and it did not work.  It works fine in the Flash client.  I opened a support request as was told, "We do NOT recommend using the HTML5 for production use anyway if you do encounter any limitations or issues with it, it will be more than likely because it is in beta."

And in another reply from support I was told this,

"Hello Mike,

I wish the HTML5 was completed since the flash based version is so slow and inconsistent. We have the option to use the HTML5 and by all means use it as much as you can, but if there are tasks or changes you are not able to do in that it is standard process at this moment to use the web based version instead - this is what I mean by supported.

As for the 6.7, it is ALMOST complete. Roughly 90% of the things you an do in the Web Client can be done in HTML5. 6.5 is roughly 80% complete.
I imagine it should be completely done by 3rd quarter. I hope.

Let me know if you have any other further questions or something is misunderstood. "

adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I've been very vocal about the web client since 5.5, to VMware and my account team. I actually prefer the layout of the flash client over the thick client or html5. However, the performance of the flash client, while improved from 5.5 to 6 to 6.5, is still very poor. There are things in the flash client that won't wind up in the html5 final client that I'm going to miss.  So I guess count me as one of the few that prefers the flash client to the thick client, in layout only.

We'll see how the html5 client is in 6.7 and beyond. I like the fact that this thread was a huge push to VMware to accelerate getting off of the flash client, but you're right, the fact that they release these things in the first place is mind boggling.

0 Kudos
tderon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Web Client was a major factor in our I.T. Dept trying out Nutanix AHV.  It is on par with VMware in performance, and light years ahead of VMware in ease of management.   I have yet to come across any issues with compatibility.

We have been slowly migrating work loads off of VMware into AHV for the last couple of months with absolutely no ill effects.  With every passing day, I have to go into vSphere less and less often.  I could not be happier.

mlovitt
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Totally agree with OP.

The old client was just much more enjoyable to use.

0 Kudos
brickleberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

BMware will just keep making the crap they put out unusable.

It is clear that BMware DOES NOT USE THEIR OWN PRODUCTS.

Hey PAT, you are failing.

AHV by Nutanix has the right idea.

Nutanix has the understanding that their customers are important.

daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

All those watching this thread may be pleased to read the recent blog post stating a fully-featured HTML5 client will be here by Fall of 2018.

Fully Featured HTML5-based vSphere Client Coming in Fall 2018 - VMware vSphere Blog

0 Kudos
brickleberry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Right out the gate they lie. Smart, start out with a lie.

ANOTHER FAIL.

First paragraph:

WHAT..PNG

I will not even bother to read past this paragraph.

BMware Fail.

Pat Fail.

DELL FAIL

"dude, you got a dell"

edgarasdjhsa
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pleased? BY an HTML5 client? Have you tried using it at all? The lack of features is really smallest issue of that client.

It's not working properly as it is now!!! Imagine editing/changing anything with that client and realizing it edited something completely else... and now imagine you're force to do absolutely everything with it...

Only viable option to manage vsphere is powershell, the gui clients are only good for console connections and adding licenses.

...and that's on top of their idea how to deliver it... 6.7 is out with new features of html5, but who needs to backup VM... or use NSX... seriously, 6.7 is not supported by NSX, an in-house product... that trumps the fact tat no backup vendor supports it.

So, really can't see anyone outside demo being pleased about this.

adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

My new favorite thing the HTML5 client does it to just ignore commands. Find a VM, edit settings, expand the disk, hit OK, nothing.  No error, no task, just nothing. Nothing in tasks or events for the VM.  Works just fine from the flash client, assuming the flash client doesn't crash while doing it. Multiple computers, multiple users with various permissions including admin. Nice job guys.

BenjaminK82
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Holy shit this thread is long - and for good reason.

The web clients blow!

adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Here's another thing they could get around to fixing, but don't...Try powering on a VM from the VMRC.  Wait, let me guess, there's a new new new new new remote client we're supposed to be using?

pastedImage_0.png

hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Any idea, why average value of disk usage is roughly 25-65 times higher than MAXIMUM usage?
Trying to figure out the write speed of the disks when creating a new eager zeroed disk and I get roughly 4MBps, which I think it's a bit low considering we are running 24 x15k disk system over fc..

0 Kudos
hyvokar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Oh wow, different formatting on different fields, how innovative.

Well, the numbers are still quite off, checked from our SAN and it's doing writing at 600MBps..

0 Kudos
oninoshiko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm still really getting into having the console double my keystrokes. If it was good enough to press once, twice must be better, right? Right?

Oooh, and how about the console just flat-out ignoring the mouse. Hahahahaha, that's a good one vmware. Now if you're done fooling around, I have to get to looking for a new platform, because it's clear you aren't interested in getting any work done.

RickJSalt
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Wow.  This thread dates back more than 4 years, with repeated promises by VMware to fix the issue and still nothing has changed.  We've been VMware customers for nearly a decade now and every day, Hyper-V is looking better and better.  I'm heading to VMworld in Vegas in a couple of months.  Anyone want to collaborate on a batch of "The Web Client Sucks!" t-shirts to wear en masse at the event?  Or just make your own; I'll be wearing mine; cheap t-shirt + printable iron-on = easy peasy expression/protest.

I get it, VMware...a web client should make access easy from any platform, from anywhere.  Your promotional material regarding the web client is at best, aspirational, and at worst, an outright lie.  Page loading in any browser is downright painful and slow, if it loads at all.  Reaction time from clicks is equally slow.  By now, there is absolutely no reason for the HTML-5 client to be so neutered; it's essentially useless. 

What is the most disgusting and disappointing is the utter dearth of comments and replies from VMware techs over the course of this entire thread.  A few, here and there, expressing understanding and begging for patience.  A few promising that changes are coming and that folks are working "around the clock" to make things better.  That particular promise was made 4 years ago, and yet, here we are still justifiably upset with the product.

coxcometllc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

If I were going, I'd absolutely wear the shirt.

After four years of backlash I'd think they'd be well along the road to rebuilding the C# client.

The console function when accessing a 6.5 host directly is clean and neat whereas it's actually worse (opens a whole new browser window) within vCenter.....how backward is that?

golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The web client(s) with 6.7 have improved again (on top of what the 6.5 releases achieved). I prefer to use the 'Flex' client still, over the HTML5 client for most things. Sadly, since the browsers are making Flash/Flex powered pages more difficult, the HTML5 client (or what they release next to replace it) is the way of the future.

While I was NOT a huge fan of the web client initially, I have seen how it's actually improved over the past few years. Granted, if you're locked into an OLD release of vSphere, your life is going to SUCK. Just like how the vCSA was NOT ready for 'prime time' IMO until 6.5 came out (where VUM was integrated into it, so you didn't need a Windows VM just for that).

I've seen minor glitches between using Firefox and/or Chrome (of different update versions) with the web client. BUT, I've been able to either work through those, or resolve them without losing hair (not that I have much left to lose).

Something to keep in mind, with technology, things are ALWAYS going to change. Sometimes the path to improvements is filled with potholes. But eventually, you get to the good roadways. Trying to bully a company into bringing back an OLD technology item because you're not willing to work with what they're producing now is not cool. IMO, it shows a lack of mental flexibility.

rlee09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is my wonderful vSphere web client at work, time to start really looking at HyperV and stop spending over $75000 per year with VMware:

2018-06-26_14-46-54.jpg

SUCKS!!! I have closed, cleared cache, re-opened, reboot (server and workstation) just plain SUCK!!!

Bleeder
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Anyone else notice how this thread has been "branched to a new discussion", which we're apparently unauthorized to view?

pastedImage_0.png