VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Web Client is so bad that my experience managing and supporting VMware has turn to....

Purpose of this post is simple and obvious...  bring back development to thick client.  THANKS!

720 Replies
notOccupanther
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

+1 to this frustration.  Thought I was the only one ... glad to see it's a general consensus.  It's actually a hindrance to the daily workflow, a complete inconvenience ... smh

0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Two critical flash vulnerabilities in the same month; it must be my birthday!

=====================================================================

Red Hat Security Advisory

Synopsis:          Critical: flash-plugin security update

Advisory ID:       RHSA-2015:1184-01

Product:           Red Hat Enterprise Linux Supplementary

Advisory URL:      https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2015-1184.html

Issue date:        2015-06-24

CVE Names:         CVE-2015-3113

=====================================================================

0 Kudos
iarno
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

A thread of 400+ posts don't seems to be enough for VMware to provide a decent answer.

I've just found an article which describes why desktop apps are still useful : Why desktop apps are making a comeback — EdTech and Entrepreneurship — Medium

So far, my testing of Hyper-V is going well, I'm not upgrading from vSphere 5.1 to latests releases for the moment.

0 Kudos
beutlern
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

couldn't agree more.

the only thing that keeps me sane is powershell (power cli) for managing vsphere.

the problem is that viewCLI on the other hand is still very limited and needs to be reworked.

0 Kudos
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well, this mess has one good thing: companies like Nutanix can bring new much more flexible and user friendly products. This can only happen when the best player on the market (VMWare) starts to negate their customers, which they do regarding to managing (client), stable releases (Veeam, June 15: " Sadly, VDDK 6.0 has been one of the worst VDDK releases in terms of the amount of new bugs introduced.") and support (no solutions for bugs now for months).

Time to go on, I guess. I had planned a VMWare 6 course in November and then upgrading our license to Enterprise.  I cancelled all this and invited Nutanix. I don't say they are perfect. But they are really willing to work with and for their customers, which VMWare has obviously stopped to do Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Me and a colleague have been working with VMware Support on a couple of support cases recently, and it's fun to see that even VMware Support despice the Web Client.

If I present the Support staff during Webex with the Web Client, they _always_ ask me to start the regular vSphere Client. I have never seen any support staff asking for Web Client, except for when we have had to troubleshoot VSAN, but that is the only exception.

How can VMware expect us to use the new Web Client when they don't want to use it them selfes? 😃

0 Kudos
andreaspa
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Another week with more 0day Flash exploits, they are now so bad that Firefox automatically disabled Flash Player.

​Firefox now blocks all versions of Flash Player by default | ZDNet

Also, in order to manage vSphere Web Client with IE on Windows Server 2012 R2, we now must enable the "Desktop Experience" feature. This just keeps getting better and better, right?

adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Well this was fun...just a few minutes ago, while the 5.5 web client was trying to crash and display the flash warning, it crashed and displayed another flash warning.

You read that right.  While it was crashing, it crashed.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Can anyone please explain where the logic is in continuing down this Flash based path? The Internet pretty much blew up over Flash in the last few days and the thing I keep hearing is "I would have uninstalled it if not for VMware".

0 Kudos
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Flash: 178 security issues (149 critical) in the last 12 months

Schwachstellenampel

Mozilla: blocked the addon

Blocked Add-ons :: Add-ons for Firefox

Apple reverted to "Click to play"

Apple blockiert ältere Flash- und Java-Versionen | heise online

Alex Stamos, Security Chief of Facebook: "It is time for Adobe to announce the end-of-life date for Flash and to ask the browsers to set killbits on the same day." Alex Stamos on Twitter: "It is time for Adobe to announce the end-of-life date for Flash and to ask ...

They will not wait 2 years for VMWare to develop a proper client.

0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Whoever at Vmware is responsible for this:

Screen Shot 2015-07-17 at 3.47.34 PM.png

needs a kick to the groin.

EthanCooper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New version of vSphere Web Client (6.0) is still worse than the local client. If any process takes more mouse clicks in the Web Client than it did in the local client...you just went backwards. I could care less whether I'm running a local client or a web client, except for the fact that the web client is a leap backwards in functionality--BASIC functionality.

Ugh. Sad faces from me and all of my other VM admins.

0 Kudos
MartinE11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just want to keep this Thread going on. Testet v6 Webclient. -> Go to hell!

Honestly VMware, why nobody fu** cares?

Do you really belive this is the way to go?

Do you really belive it's ok, to ignore all your clients opinion on this? 

This is ignorant and arrogant.

Nobody wants your webclient and nobody uses it (if not forced to)! Go back to the values that made you big and consider that there are other, better ways to go.

Please!

0 Kudos
iamxCPx
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I brought this up at the VMworld 2014 round table so I guess almost a year later nothing has changed. Smiley Sad

Good thing I'm staying away from VMworld 2015 this time.

Anyone has any good experience with XenServer?

Are they also using the "Flash" web client to manage it?

I'm holding off with version 9 and View 5 right now but not sure for how long anymore.

Want to explore some options. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
darioj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

• UNUSABLE IN PRODUCTION ENVIRONMENTS!

• FRUSTRATING IN THE LAB!
0 Kudos
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We invited Nutanix and Simplivity to explore new options. Both were not as independent from VMWare tools as we thought, but especially Nutanix is on their way.

Clearly said: I really like ESX and how it works for us. But when the administration tools are a joke, when even the support does not want to work with the web client and when the support itself get's worse every year it's time to look around. Clearly VMWare is not focused anymore on their costumers. Maybe it's shareholders or other influences, whatever it makes no difference to me. Too often I have heard now from the support that broken things are "expected" to be this way or the famous "Our team is working to get this issue resolved in the coming versions." after months(!) of sending logs.

Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi theire,

hahahaah interesting to see all the Messages related to Webclient.

i'am working now since 2005 with Vmware Products.  and as far as i remember they had already a Web Solution with 2.5.  it was in earlier Times a Pain and theire was Reason for switching away from that Idea.

And as for that i really don't understand why Vmware is forcing Kind of Web connection again. it's more a Pain.  i use the Webclient currently only for v10 Features and VDP. for all other Tasks i use regular Client.

Reason is for each Steps i do in webclient in comparison to #C Client i need horrible more Time. And i'am so annoyed about Flash optimizings. Often Browser is freezing once switching to much back and forwards etc,......

Was so annoyed last times as i tested how fast i'am onto creating Cluster and joining the Hosts theire. and to activate then DRS+HA afterwards.  i don't sense this as more easy overall. navigation is horrible.

i don't know absolutly nobody which likes Webclient. all are blaming.

Just 1 Point is not Bad. Just for Customer access over Web. As they don't need to maintain something. Just to get on Console Session etc,..... that's ok

My Thoughts about for Future Releases:

i Hope that Vmware is Maintaining Both clients anyway in  Future. Fully Independent Clients they should be. All seperated Products then hopefully Standalone Clients (VDP).

And very good would be if they would change the Content Views and Handlings nearly same like to the normal content View.

Working on Webclient is fully a Stress

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos
hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Another week, another 30+ Flash bugs...

Synopsis:          Critical: flash-plugin security update

Advisory ID:       RHSA-2015:1603-01

Product:           Red Hat Enterprise Linux Supplementary

Advisory URL:      https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2015-1603.html

Issue date:        2015-08-12

CVE Names:         CVE-2015-5127 CVE-2015-5128 CVE-2015-5129

CVE-2015-5130 CVE-2015-5131 CVE-2015-5132

CVE-2015-5133 CVE-2015-5134 CVE-2015-5539

CVE-2015-5540 CVE-2015-5541 CVE-2015-5544

CVE-2015-5545 CVE-2015-5546 CVE-2015-5547

CVE-2015-5548 CVE-2015-5549 CVE-2015-5550

CVE-2015-5551 CVE-2015-5552 CVE-2015-5553

CVE-2015-5554 CVE-2015-5555 CVE-2015-5556

CVE-2015-5557 CVE-2015-5558 CVE-2015-5559

CVE-2015-5560 CVE-2015-5561 CVE-2015-5562

CVE-2015-5563 CVE-2015-5564

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Did someone already tried "ESXi Embedded Host Client" (html5-based)? How does it look like? Is it usable?

Introducing the vSphere Host Client fling - VMware vSphere Blog - VMware Blogs

ESXi Embedded Host Client – VMware Labs

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
Morgenstern72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I would love to test this but we are too small to have a test environment and the page states " I also understand that Flings are experimental and should not be run on production systems." Also it needs esx6 and I will wait until the first big update is available (vcenter is already 6.0b because the web client was advertised as "better").

Well... Smiley Sad

0 Kudos