VMware Cloud Community
kgottleib
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Web Client is so bad that my experience managing and supporting VMware has turn to....

Purpose of this post is simple and obvious...  bring back development to thick client.  THANKS!

720 Replies
CarlsbadView
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using web client version 5.5.0.  Just discovered that when I attempt vMotion (migrate) my VM guests, ESXi hosts are not being listed every time ?!?.   This is totally random.

I tried two different web browsers. So when I need to migrate VM's I have to go to regular client.  Also, I miss layout and speed of fat client. I am truly disappointed with web client.  Now I need to troubleshoot settings and versions of my browsers, flash, etc...  what a waste of time. 

0 Kudos
laapsaap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried many times to use the web client, but it just keeps being horrible. Everybody complains at VMware cert classes how horrible and slow it is and hell they know it themselves.

After testing vCenter/ESXi6, I can tell you I am sincerely looking for alternatives and will stop recommending VMware.  We upgraded part of our infrastructure to v6 for testing and have decided we will NOT complete the upgrade. Mainly due the web client and uninteresting features.

95% of our servers are Linux and lets be honest.. if we put some effort into it, we wont need vmware at all.  I remember back then when virtualization was popular everybody was using XEN with some web interface; then came VMware with the great thick client + hypervisor and many people abandoned freeware for VMware (even linux guys like me). So how much do you think it is needed today to go from VMware to open source?

0 Kudos
mpa65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Amen!!! It's time to just throw in the towel and listen to your client base. "We HATE the web client!!!!" Actually, to be more precise we hate being FORCED to use the web client. Are you listening VMware? The vSphere client "was/is" and excellent tool. Bring back support for this app and let's just get on with it.

0 Kudos
robert_williams
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I totally agree on this. I have been using Vsphere since 2005. VMware has made a few mistakes along the way.

Changed licensing model where they limited how much ram you could run on a Host. They admitted their mistakes. This made a university give up on VMware and went Hyper-V.

SSO in the beginning was a pain.

Web client still sucks. I still hold on the the c# client.

0 Kudos
MattHays
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I completely agree with this thread.  Between forced SSO and Webclient it seems that VMWare is forgetting about their (large) customers who do not run public or shared infrastructure.   They seem to be focused on the customer base who runs IAAS and SAAS.    Not everyone who does virtualization is doing is for these reasons, some of us still own the hardware and doesn't share.

0 Kudos
Petter_Lindgren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We've been using vSphere since the ESX 1.5 release back in 2002. Back then; the only management was through the web.

Then the C# client came and it was a revelation that built VMware to the Company it is today.

Sadly; as most posters already said; the current webclient isn't near being the replacement it needs to be.

no.1 issue is security!

The vSphere infrastructure is the most critical infrastructure we have and it's simply just not acceptable that it's built on one of the most insecure technologies in IT.

no.2 issue is administration

It simply takes more time to do the things you need to do. And don't get me started about the plugin situation.

no.3 issue is performance

It way slower then the C# client.

0 Kudos
Stream2back
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i totally agree with you and the rest of the people in this tread. We have decided to use Vmware as long as we can use the real client to admin the system and then switch to Hyper-V or something else.

Sad to see that this should be something that would have us quit using vmware.

If someone likes the webclient, fine then you will have to support both in the future, but it is so bad i can't imagine someone want's to prefer this ....

Simply put Vmware .... FUCK YOU !!!!

0 Kudos
vmatoz42
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

OK, this thread started almost one year ago, it has more than 66.000! views, 327 answers where written

and vmware has changed NOTHING !!!

The web client is still as slow and unsecure and unusable, as from the first day on.

How long will vmware ignore the needs of their customers and ruin their (so far) good reputation with this horrible piece of software ?

mpa65
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here's the kicker, I was reviewing the new vSphere 6.0 installation process and you still have to divide up duties between the new vSphere 6 Desktop Client and vSphere Web Client. Not only can't they get the damn web client to fully function (after "how many years?"), but it's still not much better than it was from the start. It seems like someone at VMware just has a bug up their ass about forcing us to use the Web Client as opposed to continuing to support the vSphere client application that almost everyone prefers.

Surely with all the money they are saving by cutting the budget in their technical support department they can afford a few more developers to maintain the desktop client. (Decline in quality of tech support is a topic for another time.)

hostasaurus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey, everyone go through your weekly Flash updates since yet another batch of security vulnerabilities have come out:

=====================================================================

Red Hat Security Advisory

Synopsis:          Critical: flash-plugin security update

Advisory ID:       RHSA-2015:0813-01

Product:           Red Hat Enterprise Linux Supplementary

Advisory URL:      https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2015-0813.html

Issue date:        2015-04-15

CVE Names:         CVE-2015-0346 CVE-2015-0347 CVE-2015-0348

CVE-2015-0349 CVE-2015-0350 CVE-2015-0351

CVE-2015-0352 CVE-2015-0353 CVE-2015-0354

CVE-2015-0355 CVE-2015-0356 CVE-2015-0357

CVE-2015-0358 CVE-2015-0359 CVE-2015-0360

CVE-2015-3038 CVE-2015-3039 CVE-2015-3040

CVE-2015-3041 CVE-2015-3042 CVE-2015-3043

CVE-2015-3044

=====================================================================

I love being forced to use something incredibly insecure; keep up the good work!

0 Kudos
markzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The only way we will get VMWare to look at things differently is to log support calls with them about the performance and features..

They will try to down play your case but you need to keep pushing.. If they close the case open another.

I agree VMWare are not listening to their customers but maybe that's because they don't recognize complaining as legitimate issues..

An complaining is just what we are (me too) doing here..

Log a case..

Log another.

Performance

Features..

Security, (maybe my infected browser is the issue)

Flash.. (In my corporate as are not allowed to use flash)

Please can others add to this list of issues to report in a formal support case..

I'll log one..

0 Kudos
unsichtbare
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

What is the new discussion this is branched to?

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/500397

If I try to go there, I get: Unauthorized

+The Invisible Admin+ If you find me useful, follow my blog: http://johnborhek.com/
0 Kudos
sr01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

markzz, good idea.

For those who have issues with keeping flash up to date, if you use Chrome, Chrome automatically updates flash so you dont have to worry about installing the latest update.  As long as you are restarting Chrome when it tells you to, you are good to go.

I too think VMware made a big mistake releasing the web client this early.  Its just bizarre how they tell us to stop using the C# client but keep it for VUM.  The same goes for vSphere 6.0.  You would think by now VUM would be at least merged into the web client.  I could also go off topic and mention they are pushing the vCenter appliance, but you still need a Windows server for VUM.  Why cant VMware get everything working before releasing these things (SSO??)?  Its always half assed.

And finally for those who threaten to move to Hyper-V just because the web client sucks, that is the most ridiculous reason to move to Hyper-V.  Good luck in convincing management to buying new hardware to convert your VMs over and good luck learning a whole new platform.  Good luck redoing your whole backup and deploy procedures.  Good luck optimizing the performance of the VMs.  Good luck learning how to patch Hyper-V.

What markzz mentioned is a good start, and this thread is great as well.

I still believe in VMware, but VMware please stop rushing in releasing half baked products and listen to your customers.

0 Kudos
chrmaier
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sr01 schrieb:

For those who have issues with keeping flash up to date, if you use Chrome, Chrome automatically updates flash so you dont have to worry about installing the latest update.  As long as you are restarting Chrome when it tells you to, you are good to go.

Are you serious?

schepp
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

unsichtbare wrote:

What is the new discussion this is branched to?

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/500397

If I try to go there, I get: Unauthorized

unsichtbare just an out of office auto reply that was moved to the bin.

0 Kudos
Petter_Lindgren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The only way we will get VMWare to look at things differently is to log support calls with them about the performance and features..

They will try to down play your case but you need to keep pushing.. If they close the case open another.

I agree VMWare are not listening to their customers but maybe that's because they don't recognize complaining as legitimate issues..

An complaining is just what we are (me too) doing here..

Log a case..

Log another.

Performance

Features..

Security, (maybe my infected browser is the issue)

Flash.. (In my corporate as are not allowed to use flash)

Please can others add to this list of issues to report in a formal support case..

I'll log one..

I Think markzz is correct that we should log formal feature requests if we really want change.

I've logged a case now regarding dependancy on Adobe Flash (security)

0 Kudos
JMachieJr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am currently studying for the vcp5.5 certification after taking the class. During my class the web client would hang, fail to refresh and a lot of other issues that have been listed here already. And that was in a test lab with only two of us using it. We had to default back to using the thick client often just to get through the labs. You would think with how much money VMware charges it's customers they would have developers capable of fixing this issue or at least not force their customer base to use this piece of crap. I work in a very large enterprise network and people are starting to talk about moving away from VMware to MS Hyper-V. Whoever is in charge over at VMware better start listening to their customers more.

VCP-DCV | MCP | Linux+ Twitter: @James_Machie_Jr LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jmachiejr
0 Kudos
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What is VMware's plan for supporting the web client in Chrome after Sept, 2015?

Chromium Blog: The Final Countdown for NPAPI

The recent update (42) broke the web client in Chrome, and looks like in September they will remove support for NPAPI plugins completely.

0 Kudos
dennisluvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The Web Client by itself works without NPAPI.  The issue is with the Client Integration Plugin, which provided some additional functionality.  Some of this functionality has been moved into the standalone VMware Remote Console application (VMRC).  You can see more specifics in this KB article:

Downloading and Installing the standalone VMware Remote Console (VMRC) in vSphere 5.x and 6.0 (2091284):

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209128...

We are also working on the rest of the functionality in various ways.

0 Kudos
adamjg
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

dennisluvm wrote:

The Web Client by itself works without NPAPI.  The issue is with the Client Integration Plugin, which provided some additional functionality.  Some of this functionality has been moved into the standalone VMware Remote Console application (VMRC).  You can see more specifics in this KB article:

Downloading and Installing the standalone VMware Remote Console (VMRC) in vSphere 5.x and 6.0 (2091284):

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=209128...

We are also working on the rest of the functionality in various ways.

Thanks for the quick reply!  The one that hit our users this morning is the checkbox for "Use Windows session authentication".  Due to another bug in the VCSA, we have to put DOMAIN\ in front of the username in order to login.  The checkbox of course eliminates the need for this.  Good to hear that you're at least aware of it and are looking at the rest of the functionality.

0 Kudos