VMware Cloud Community
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Web Client and ESXi 5.5

Hi there,

I have recently updated to ESXi 5.5 and when I login into the host via vsphere windows client I am informed that certain functions will not be available and I need to use the webclient.

I have installed SSO and the web client and can login, but how to I configure it to connect to my ESXi5.5 host?  I don't have vcenter installed and have installed the web client plugin.

Any help would he great!

Msuk

4 Replies
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello, i think that is not possible to use the web client without vCenter, but you can see too this post: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/457843?start=0&tstart=0

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

is correct, you'll need to have vCenter Server in place. You cannot use the Web Client to connect to an ESXi host directly.

Unfortunately you will not have all new features available with the Windows based Client. However, with a single host you will most likly have all features you need. One hint though, do not upgrade the VM's Virtual Hardware to the latest version (v10) as you won't be able to modify such VM's using the vSphere Client.

André

0 Kudos
MSUKvm
Contributor
Contributor

opps too late already updated to V10 Smiley Sad Anyway to downgrade the version?

So I 100% need vCenter to manage the host?

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

If you own a VMware Workstation 10 license you can use the workstation to manage the v10 hardware VMs.

As said you can manage the host with the Windows vSphere Client. New functions that only exist in the web client are not available in the free hypervisor license, so you won't miss anything.

Regards