VMware Cloud Community
n_c_vmware
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Web Client 6 Still Extremely Slow and Sucks

Hi all,

We are on 6 for a few months now. We have about 7 PSC, 7 vCenters, SRM, VRA VIN etc. In the good days using IE and Chrome it takes about 1:30 to 2 minutes to login . In the bad days random slowness it takes forever 9, 15 minutes etc. I have no idea why and this is been doing to all of the vCenter , we had 4 vCPU went up to 6, have about 12GB RAM on each still not helping. A reboot on vCenter seems to make it faster for a few days then it gets slow again. CPU and RAM usage after few days still the same as the first day ..so I don't really get it.

I know people used to tweak Java to make it faster before I personally don't want to deal with this especially that is not supported and who know what update from VMware will make things bad because all these tweaks.

I want to ask guys in your larger environments in Enhanced Linked Mode with same SSO but many sites , how fast do you log in ? , try to time it and do it a few times with many browsers it`s very weird.

7 Replies
n_c_vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Alright just wasted about 2 hours on phone with VMware on this and another 2 hours to upload about 3 or 4 vCenter logs total of few GBs.  So they saw it took sometimes 7 minutes sometimes 3.5 minutes they were very impressed lol.

They said there is nothing they can do about it because it's due to the beautiful new feature Enhaced Linked Mode in 6.   I told them I had Linked mode in 5.5 and it wasn't this terrible, no answer to that.

I showed them web client vergo log with a ton of errors and warnings , they couldn't really read or understand them. Thank you VMware for paying about 150,000$ a year on support , well deserved.

Now I asked him can you please get me a date or tentative date about HTML5 Web Client which might help with this slowness, I got nothing...

I asked him if there is any plans like in 5.5 to link and unlink vCenters on the fly from the same SSO domain now in this vSphere 6 Enhanced Mode... He of course doesn't know...

So I asked what can we do now .. ? his answer was nothing... you kidding me ?, I have to waste valuable time with these techs..VMware should pay for my time teaching them a few things....

Not sure what will happen probably we will go to a more respectable company like Microsoft and ditch all together VMware..and thier support.

Great weekend guys and gals !

0 Kudos
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

I would suggest you to use HTML 5 fling instead of web client. As of now this fling don't support all the features as web client but its far better than web client.

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
n_c_vmware
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

Been doing many tests and it looks like it's an issue with our multiple 7 sites latency when Web Client logs in to one this Enhanced Linked Mode connects to all and it`s very slow. I bet many of these large global organization have this same problem due to latency from many continents.

We went with this design based on the previous 5.5 when we were able to link and un-link when we wanted, so we can use SRM and vSphere Replication between our sites. Now in 6 we can't un-link..so we are pretty much out of luck now.

Apparently SRM works now with vCenter with their own PSC and different SSO domain, I need to try this and the VRA and make sure it work. So let's say it does.. there is no easy way out now ... just rebuild everything again ... damn it that sucks bad, wish VMware could do something to bring that option back to link or unlink your vCenter from Enhanced Mode on the fly within the same SSO domain .

Thank you for reading and watch out for global - multiple vCenter  /SRM/VRA /VIN setups... with this Enhanced Linked Mode ...

0 Kudos
de2rfg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have similar problems but only 3 vCenter spread over the world. Support once told me that the Web Client problems may come from the latencies between the sites and that these latencies are not supported (100-200ms). I opend a case to get information what max. latencies are supported but never got any useful results. Support did some testing, complained about MTU and other parameters that must be set because of VPN etc. It seems also that there is no KB article on how to break a enhanced linked mode setup and separate the vCenter's/PSC's. All in all disappointing.

0 Kudos
n_c_vmware
Contributor
Contributor

This is unbelievable, hope they come up with a solution that will work for us. 

0 Kudos
Mr_G_Grant
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I know this is an old thread but I'm using vCenter 6.0 update 3b and the web client is horribly slow and unresponsive. Luckily I can still the old client to mange things! Anyway I just wanted to know if anybody has seen improvements in 6.5 with the interface?

I'm reluctant to upgrade as I wont be able to use the old client. Interested to hear you're comments.

0 Kudos
crk112
Contributor
Contributor

I performed a migration from vCenter Appliance 5.5 to vCSA 6.5... the problems began pretty much immediately. SLOOWWWWW slow slow... timeout errors all over the place.

We struggled for weeks with frustration.. tried IE, Chrome, Firefox, tried HTML5 and Flash... some days it was not even usable and others it was just good enough to get by. It's pretty much the same story as I've read on so many Google results.

We were ready to give up and go back to the 5.5 appliance... who cares if it's EOL this year, the 6.5 was practically unusable. A disaster recovery would have been impossible. 5.5 would have at least gotten us by long enough to switch to Hyper-V.

We don't have a huge domain, 400 users and our VMware environment is 12 hosts. But check this out;

The problems stopped immediately after we removed our LDAP identity source. Seriously, that's all I did.

There are only three of us that manage vSphere so we switched to local authentication and have our usernames in the vsphere.local domain. Currently I have no plans to re-enable LDAP as an identity source.

I hope this helps another sysadmin.... this was one of the most frustrating problems of my relatively short tenure, but the solution is simple enough it could help you too. Good luck!

Curtis