VMware Cloud Community
allanregistos1
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Storage Unable to Mount

Hi good day,

I accidentally removed a hard disk while vCenter is running. It happened that the disk was used as a storage by the vCenter itself. When I realized that this was so, I re-attach the disk immediately. I rebooted esxi, and the vcenter was unable to start. Since I can no longer use the vCenter, I manage the esxi server through the web console. At the web console, I have found out that the disk was missing in the storage.  There should be three HGST 8Tb, but there are only two. I have attached a syslog in case someone is interested.

How do I troubleshoot this? I do not know where to start. 

I only have the essentials kit license.

Thank you for any advice.

Allan

Moderator note by wila: Moved post from Support Hub Members to ESXi discussions

0 Kudos
5 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You indicate that you removed a disk, this was a physical disk on the ESXi server?
Or you removed a virtual disk in the VM of the Vcenter Server Appliance ?

What make and model of server are you using?

What disk controller are you using?

Do you have some kind of RAID configuration in the disk controller?

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
allanregistos1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi e_espinel,

I removed a physical disk. And good thing is that only the vCenter is running on it, and I think I can re-install it somewhere.

The server is from SuperMicro, but it was not the one that was tested by VMWare's HCL.  But it sure running fine with esxi for about more than two months now.

There is no RAID configuration.

For the  disk controller, this is only I can provide:

vmhba0 

Fusion-MPT 12GSAS SAS3008 PCI-Express

Unknown

lsi_msgpt3

vmhba1 

Sunrise Point-H AHCI Controller

Unknown

vmw_ahci

vmhba2 

ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller

Unknown

vmw_ahci

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I've reported your post so moderators are notified to move it to the correct place (ESXi Discussions)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Run the following commands on a SSH connection to the ESXi host, and paste your results

List out all the devices being detected by the ESXi host.

# esxcfg-scsidevs -c

List the volumes available to the host. This includes VMFS, NAS and VFAT partitions

# esxcli storage filesystem list

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
allanregistos1
Contributor
Contributor

Ok thanks, the disk is undetected from both commands.

Anyway, I guess I should turn off the system to remove the non-working disks.

Thanks y'all for the help.

0 Kudos