VMware Cloud Community
PatricNIX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Standard license

Hi!

I'm a bit confused about the licensing. If I buy a VMware vSphere Standard license for 1 CPU, can I use it on mulitple servers with one CPU or do I have to buy one license per server?

Also, what if I have just one server with 2 CPU's? Is there some sort of license where you can add 1 CPU to a current license?

Thanks,

-Patric

0 Kudos
3 Replies
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

have a look through this article it should explain all http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

your Standard licence will be for a single processor socket with a max of  6 cores, you will have to buy addition licences if you want to add another processor or more hosts.

You can purchase licences per socket so just add another licence if you upgrade the host to 2 sockets.

Hope this helps.

Mark

PatricNIX
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the quick reply, it cleared things up. Though I was kind of hoping that I could use the same license for all my servers.

I guess I'll have to keep running the Free license for a while then because the pricing is pretty high for us right now.. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
harrygunter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They do an Essentials (Plus) licence which i believe is a bit cheaper, 3 x 2 cpu hosts + vCenter.

I think though it's a hard limit which means you can't scale up for future.

0 Kudos