VMware Cloud Community
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere HW and Tools Upgrade Anomalies

I just did an upgrade on our virtual machines to hardware version 7 and the latest tools. I started getting errors that our DHCP scope was filling up. I checked it and it was handing out IP addresses to our vm servers. All of them have statically assigned IP addresses. I cleared all the records out of DHCP, but does anyone have any ides why this would happen? Does this create some hidden NIC or something? And will it continue happening?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Apparently the HW upgrade does actually replace the NIC - leaving the old one "sort of there" - see vmproteau's pdf

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1445012

So I guess that could be related to where your dhcp leases were coming from - or maybe as some intermediate stage of the upgrade the dhcp leases were allocated before the static addresses replaced them?

Dinny

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

In what order did you upgrade? (Correct should be VMware Tools first and then HW Version)

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's correct. It actually won't let you upgrade the harware until tools is upgraded.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Has any seen this at all? It seems like really odd behavior?

0 Kudos
dinny
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Apparently the HW upgrade does actually replace the NIC - leaving the old one "sort of there" - see vmproteau's pdf

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1445012

So I guess that could be related to where your dhcp leases were coming from - or maybe as some intermediate stage of the upgrade the dhcp leases were allocated before the static addresses replaced them?

Dinny

0 Kudos
scotty_p
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot. Now I get to remove ghost NICs from all our servers.

0 Kudos