VMware Cloud Community
jbuisensus
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere HA unsuccessfully failed over. Reason: Failed to start the virtual machine

vSphere HA unsuccessfully failed over.  vSphere HA will retry if the maximum number of attempts has not been exceeded.  Reason: Failed to start the virtual machine

I got the warning from a fail over event last night.  Everything looks fine except for alerts for all the virtual machines that HA failed to move.

Does anyone know what causes this?  I cant find anything to show what triggered the event.

Thanks

3 Replies
akblpatel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please check below VMWare KB

VMware KB: vSphere HA and FT Error Messages

0 Kudos
bansne
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is the Isolation response set on HA?

In a cluster with Isolation response set to Leave powered on when a host becomes isolated may display this error on a virtual machine.The virtual machine continues to run without a problem.

Have a look into "VMware KB: High Availability alarm: vSphere HA virtual machine failed to failover" as well.

ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi jbuisensus and welcome to the forums!

As other posters have mentioned you should start by taking a look at your Host Isolation response for the cluster that these VM's were running in. If it is set to Leave powered on (default setting) then I would take a look at whether these VM's were all on one particular host.

Once you have established what host isolation response you have set on the cluster and the number of hosts affected, I would look in the Task & Events tab for the cluster - in here you may find a clue as to what happened. More than likely you will see that a host experienced a connection failure at the time the HA alarms where raised.

Thanks and kind regards.

0 Kudos