VMware Cloud Community
usulsuspct
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere ESXi 5 install hanging on HP BL460c G7

I am attempting to re-install vSphere 5 on a couple of blades I am using for testing.  The blades were running the HP ESXi v5 version of the OS and were not exhibiting any issues.

I began a re-installation (using same media as before) and each time the install hangs after accepting the EULA (with a prompt on the screen regarding logs being stored on non-persistent storage.)

I have exhausted everything I can think of at this point trying to get past this issue.

I have updated firmware on our blade BL460c G7, updating pretty much everything and anything I could find.  I downloaded a more recent version of the HP ESXi installer with no luck...

I know the next screen in the install is the selection screen for choosing where to install ESXi, so I am wondering if the issue is in that arena somehow.  The only thing I can think of is that when the initial install was performed there were no SAN attached LUNS (only the local storage - which I know appears as remote.)  Since the initial install LUNS were added for testing, I wonder if something is hanging up during the identification of remote drives?

I may have our storage team disconnect the SAN LUNS from the blade to test this theory - although moving forward I would like to have this resolved.

Anyone have experience with this or any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Have you just let the install run to see if the next screen does eventually come up?

If you're not using the SAN LUNs yet, then removing access to them is a good idea anyhow.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
usulsuspct
Contributor
Contributor

It has been on the same screen for a couple of hours at least.  There are only 3 100GB LUNs currently presented to the host in question.  I did find that between the last successful install and today there was a HP VirtualConnect upgrade to verstion 3.30, I am starting to wonder if maybe that has something to do with it.

While I agree that removing presented LUNs before performing an install is a good practice to avoid accidental LUN overwrite, it shouldnt be required for an installation / re-install.

Thanks for the suggestions.

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

It's not required, no.  I mention it because my LUN scans took a long  time before I was presented with a list of choices for the install.

But a couple of hours is definitely too long, especially for only 3 LUNs.

There may be some driver conflict as well causing issues.  I have older half height blades and I'm still at 3.17 on vconnect.

Or, maybe try new media.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
usulsuspct
Contributor
Contributor

I did see some KBs regarding be2net drivers etc - and have upgraded essentially everything I can find in the firmware path.  I just confirmed the md5 on the media I was using (good idea though.)

I will talk with our storage folks and see if there isnt something strange they can see from their end.  After that I guess it will be a case with VMware and or HP.

Good times 😕

0 Kudos
peetz
Leadership
Leadership

I have a couple of blog posts regarding issues with G7 blades that might help.

See http://v-front.blogspot.com/search/label/G7.

Also, to further troubleshoot the issue please check the VMkernel.log messages (by pressing Alt-F12 on the console) while the machine hangs.

- Andreas

Twitter: @VFrontDe, @ESXiPatches | https://esxi-patches.v-front.de | https://vibsdepot.v-front.de
0 Kudos