VMware Cloud Community
GarthDK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Converter Standalone and File Shares

I am about to convert a domain member, four-drive, Windows 2003 Server that contains SQL Server and Oracle databases as well as a large number of file shares (many tens). I've read that the conversion of multiple drives is no prob but I can't find anything on whether or not Converter will correctly transfer all of the file shares. I need this to happen or I'll have to figure out another approach.

Does it migrate file shares/ACLS correctly?

Thanx,

Garth

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The users shouldn't notice any difference. The admins will just see a few VMware traces (devices, tools ...) but the system will remain the same.

What you can do is to make a test, as the process is not destructive for the original machine. Then, once your solution is proven, make the final move.

Franck

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hi GarthDK,

Yes, all the file system is copied with corresponding ACLs.

Regards

Franck

0 Kudos
GarthDK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanx for the reply. Just to be absolutely clear, the Converter will copy all file shares over to the new VM so a remote user won't know the difference. Right?

0 Kudos
FranckRookie
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The users shouldn't notice any difference. The admins will just see a few VMware traces (devices, tools ...) but the system will remain the same.

What you can do is to make a test, as the process is not destructive for the original machine. Then, once your solution is proven, make the final move.

Franck

0 Kudos
GarthDK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanx much. I'll give it a try.

Garth

0 Kudos