VMware Cloud Community
Kaleidescope
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client

Hi,

I am just a newbie with vMware, i installed vSphere client ver. 4.0.0 to my machine  and connect with a physical machine with the below specifications, just to familiarize myself how to use and build VMs.

Physical Machine:

CPU: 2x Quad Core

Memory: 20GB

Hard Disk: 500GB

Questions:

1. I build VM (windows 7), thick provisioned, 50GB, when i tried to increase the hd capacity to 100GB, it does show from vSphere client that the new capacity is 100GB. However, if i remote access to the machine it is still showing its original size. Is there anything i missed on this?

2. Can i upgrade my vSphere client to the new version? will this affects my VMs? where can i download it?

3. Is there a way to change from thick to thin provisioned once the VM already build?

4. i try to create new VM and wants to install Windows 10, however, from the selection the highest windows OS is ver 7, can i still use this?

5. was there any proper way of shutting down the VMs?

6. Is vmware tool should be install once?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Kaleidescope,

Please find below answers for your questions.

1. I build VM (windows 7), thick provisioned, 50GB, when i tried to increase the hd capacity to 100GB, it does show from vSphere client that the new capacity is 100GB. However, if i remote access to the machine it is still showing its original size. Is there anything i missed on this?

Ans:- Once you increased on vSphere level it shows 100 GB but you have see the same size in VM level. Take your server(Windows 7) on remote and click ctrl+r it opens run prompt on that type diskmgmt.msc it shows disks and partitions for that VM. just extend the volume from 50GB to another 50GB finally it show on OS level also 100GB.

2. Can i upgrade my vSphere client to the new version? will this affects my VMs? where can i download it?

Ans:- Yes you may upgrade vSphere client version it won't affect VM's. Please find this KB article to download the vsphere clients with different versions.

Download URLs for VMware vSphere Client (2089791) | VMware KB

3. Is there a way to change from thick to thin provisioned once the VM already build?

Ans:- Please find the KB article for converting thick to thin and thin to thick procedure Changing the thick or thin provisioning of a virtual disk (2014832) | VMware KB

4. i try to create new VM and wants to install Windows 10, however, from the selection the highest windows OS is ver 7, can i still use this?

Ans:- Yes can able to install choosing some other windows version like windows 7 and install windows 10 but some of the hardware function and vmtools version cant support.

Best practice is not recommended.

Ans:- Proper way to shutdown the VM is just open console login to OS and do shutdown. or right click the VM and click Power and choose Shut Down Guest.

Ans:- Yes It should be install.

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos
deepaksel
Contributor
Contributor

- Yes, vSphere client installation wont affect theVM’s. But Seems your physical machine running under Esxi 4.0 and no client Upgraded is needed.

- Yes, but if Esxi host is upgraded to newer verion, VMware tools also need to be update.

0 Kudos
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Deepaksel,

physical machine running under Esxi 4.0 thats fine but higher version of vsphere client to lower version Esxi of vcenter can be able to manage it wont affect anything.

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos
VMARA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I have seen that most of the answers are correct and I would like to add few more things here :

Even though you extended the disk in VMware level it doesn't show the extended disk space from the OS layer until you extend the disk from the OS.

Press Windows + R to get the console and type "compmgmt.msc"

pastedImage_1.png

Once you get the "Computer Management" window go to disk Management and select the disk you expanded, click on the "Refresh" icon to refresh and get the disk size updated. Sometimes it won't show the added disk space, then you can see the allocated disk space and Expand the disk by right-click and selecting the "Extend Volume" option

Yes, you can.

Easiest way of selecting the proper VMware client is :

type the https://<host_IP_address>

click the "Download vSphere Client" to down load the vSphere client. Yes, host does need to have the internet access to this.

pastedImage_3.png

Otherwise you need to download vSphere Client manually

Yes, you can change it while you are doing the Storage vMotion , see my screen capture

pastedImage_4.png

You will be able to use it, but can be some issues like this

• Reduction of performance

• Different default type for the SCSI device *

• Different defaults of devices

• Wrong VMware Tools presented to the Guest OS resulting in failure to install

• Inability to select virtual hardware such as enhanced vmxnet, vmxnet3 or number of vCPUs.

• Inability to activate features such as CPU and Memory Hot Add.

• Inability to activate Fault Tolerance.

• VM burning up 100% of CPU when idling (rare occasions)

read more on Frank's blog

Impact of mismatch Guest OS type - frankdenneman.nl

Best option is shutting down the VM from the OS (Using the console or remote in to the VM).

If you have install the vmware tools correctly you can perform the soft OS shutdown after right-click on the VM

pastedImage_6.png

Or Ctrl+D (VMware tools must be installed)

It should be for the better performance, not once should be updated.

Aruna Lakmal Virtualization Professional | vExpert and a Blogger
0 Kudos
Kaleidescope
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Ganesh for answering my queries. I downloaded vsphere client ver. 6 and tried to install it, however, it is still prompting back to ver. 4.0, any idea why? I run the ver. 6.0 to my machine which is windows 10.

THanks

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

You have to use vSphere client which is supported for esxi host .

Preferred is type the host IP address on the web browser and down and install client is which is showing there .

Example if you have esxi 4.1  and  you need to access the esxi with vsphere client of new version which is not possible .

Refer the interop Matrix #  VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
ganeshgv
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Kaleidescope,

Please find below steps to install exact version of vSphere client.

Type it in browser: https://EsxiHostname(or)IP

It show like this screenshot:

pastedImage_3.png

Click Download vSphere Client  and install the same. After installation try to connect the Esxi host i hope it will work.

Regards,

Ganesh GV

0 Kudos