VMware Cloud Community
digitlman77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Client slow console response

Hello,

When I connect to the console of some vms with the vsphere client (latest version), the mouse response is sluggish.

I have the lastest tools on these vms, with video acceleration turned on. This is a mix of 2003 and 2008 vms.

Some of them work just fine. I'm wondering if it's a domain policy setting for RDP that is causing it, because I can build a new vm fine, and it seems ok until I join it to the domain.

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
taylorb
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have had super crappy VM console performance on my 2003 and 2008 Vms since I upgraded to 4.1. The main cause has been a buggy implemtation of VMware tools on the latest Vcenter release. It does not install the proper drivers. You have to manually install the WDDM video driver and the Vmware mouse driver. I'd really love a fix for this as I have not had time to visit each of my hundreds of VMs to manually install drivers.

0 Kudos
mpverr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You are correct - it is very frustrating that we still see such blatant quality control issues from VMware on things such as this that should not have sneaked by.

For those not sure how to fix I have attached a very rough set of instructions how to fix AFTER you install the VMware tools.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert

I have not noticed this on Win2003 but it's really bad on Win2008.

My only fix is this combo:

• vHardware v7

• Latest VM tools from 4.1 host

• wddm driver

Smooth as glass after doing this, was unusable before. Before we upgraded to 4.1 we had to use the cruddy vmware driver and it was so slow. the wddm driver on <4.1 or < vHardware 7 is smooth but you may often see the console lock up.

Ben

0 Kudos