VMware Cloud Community
donnsuil1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Client for Server 2012

I have installed Windows Server 2012 on my laptop and tried to install the vSphere client (VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-623373) but it comes up with "This product can only be installed on Windows XP SP2 and above".

Is there a way to get around this, or is there a newer version of the client I can download that will work?

Cheers.

Martin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rsrevord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

copy the file to your server, and right click and properties, and set compatibilty to run as win7.

installs and works fine, the MSI just doesn't have the knowledge that there is a new version of windows.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try using the web client for vsphere if it is installed in your vsphere instance.

it should be  https://serverip:9443/vsphere-client

remember win2012 is windows 8 server edition so its different.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
donnsuil1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried the URL, but it failed to connect to anything. I should have mentioned that I am trying to connect to an ESXi 5 u1 server, is this an option for that?

Going into the settings on the ESXi machine, there were a couple of options for connecting to a VSphere agent, but enabling this did not make a difference.

Regards,

Martin

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

it probably needs to be isntaleld on the server if you can access it, or there is a firewall block it, or the por thas been changed.

but it needs to be instaleld, so most likely hasnt.

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

this error is telling you the OS that you are trying to install the vSphere Client on is not supported.  You will need to find a supported OS to install your client on.  Typically anything that is a GA release OS (XP, Win7, 2003, 2008)

also, make sure that your Server is not a domain controller.  This too could halt the install.

0 Kudos
rsrevord
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

copy the file to your server, and right click and properties, and set compatibilty to run as win7.

installs and works fine, the MSI just doesn't have the knowledge that there is a new version of windows.

0 Kudos
ianh1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi

I managed to get a 4.1 client to install on server 2012 by downloading the install package from the esx server then set the Compatibilty on it to Windows XP SP3 and set the priviledge level to run as administrator.

This got it to install fine. Just testing it all now but it looks pretty good.

donnsuil1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the responses.

It's installed OK now, however the console view of a guest does not work, and displays a message at the top of the console saying "The VMRC console has disconnected...attempting to reconnect."

I see this is a common issue for Server 2012 and Windows 8, so hopefully this will be fixed in the non too distant future.

0 Kudos
sguruprasad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This post is 3 years old, and the issue is yet to be fixed! I'm talking about console disconnection. When did vmware become so bad?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Huh?  This post is from July, 2012.  Its less than 9 months old...

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
donnsuil1
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

At the time, a way of installing the VSphere client was identified: "set the Compatibilty on it to Windows XP SP3 and set the priviledge level to run as administrator.". Only a partial fix as the console view did not work, but it was good enough for my needs at the time.

Since then, VMWare have releaseo a later version of the Server (ESXi5.1.x) which fixed the console issue for me. Downloading/Burning the ISO installer, and running the upgrade on the host was easy, and worked on the 3 hosts we have here.

0 Kudos
sguruprasad
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

My bad. I  noticed the date on the left hand pane which says "posts since" and wrongly assumed it to be the date of the post. It should have been obvious to me that the post couldn't have been that old coz win server 2012 was not available that far back.\

I was generally in a bad mood spending hours to have to connect to vCenter! On my mac, vsphere web client works, but console does not work as it is not supported. So, I'm again forced to get on a windows. And on win server 2012 (the only one I have on had right now), I hit many issues, and even after overcoming many issues listed at the bottom, I still cannot connect to console.

I cannot upgrade the host to ESX 5.1 as the host does not belong to me and cannot be upgraded right now

If someone cares -

vsphere web client on win server 2012

- IE does not work with flash

- firefox 32-bit hangs with flash

- firefox nightly 64-bit connects to vsphere web client. Even after vmrc was installed, I cannot connect to console

vsphere thick client

- console disconnects due to vmrc issue

0 Kudos
zzmaher
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks alot Lanh1

Abuzeid

0 Kudos
roconnor
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

have you seen this KB

Installing VMware vSphere Client 4.1 or 5.0 on Windows Server 2012 or Windows 8 fails with the error: This product can only be installed on Windows XP SP2 and above (2069264)

0 Kudos
Madmax01
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi theire,

instead of trying to install i solved it other Way.  i just extracted the content and used it as Nativ Application then Smiley Wink. i was annoyed about this sensless Installer Message.

Best regards

Max

0 Kudos