VMware Cloud Community
ITTropolis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Client for ESXi 6.7

Hi:

I'm a newbie to 6.7.  I have a host server running ESXi 6.7.0 build-16075168.  I tried to connect to host using vSphere Client (I guess C#) vers. 6.0.0 Build 51112508.  It won't connect.  Is there a newer version of vSphere Client?  Or, is the only GUI way to connect via browser to IP address?  I guess this by default would use the HTML5 vSphere Client vs. "vShpere Web Client?"

Thank you!

Bob H.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The "fat" client based on C# has been dropped since ESXi 6.5 in favour of the HTML5 web client.

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2016/05/goodbye-vsphere-client-for-windows-c-hello-html5.html

View solution in original post

7 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

The "fat" client based on C# has been dropped since ESXi 6.5 in favour of the HTML5 web client.

https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2016/05/goodbye-vsphere-client-for-windows-c-hello-html5.html

ITTropolis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HI bluefirestorm​:

Got it, thanks!

When I connect to my ESXi host using the latest version of Chrome is that the fully featured "Fling" by default, i.e. the embedded web client that ESXi 6.7 serves up in the browser, or do I need to install a Chrome extension or some OVA appliance to get the fully feature HTML5 Fling client?

Thank you,

Bob H.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

When you point your browser to (https://ESXi host>/ui) that is the embedded host client. Don't think any plugin would be required; although I think add-ons might install their own plug-in. If I am not mistaken, VMware's own VMRC installs a browser plug-in.

0 Kudos
comunedilonigo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, the HTML5 client is a pain

Beside the nagging for certificates the usability is not there and so are the missing capabilities

I posted apetition to have it back but I suppose it is hidden by vmware.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Where did you post your "petition"?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
comunedilonigo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

This thread then: petition to have vSphere Client application on ESXi 7.x

Definitely not hidden or removed.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos