VMware Cloud Community
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere Client does not connect to any host or vCenter anymore

Hi,

I have a very strange problem. My vSphere Client does not connect to any vCenter or single host. It happens from one day to another, without any significant changes on my client computer.

The client onyl shows since hours "Connecting..." without any error or time-out.

I tried to uninstall the vSphere Client, including the "Microsoft Visual J# Redistributable Package - SE (x64)" and installing again in different versions. I disabled local virus scanner and firewall. Nothing helped.

Has anyone an idea how to troubleshoot or what can I do? I´am very frustrated.

Cheers, Tom

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Praveenmna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

please refer logs.

\vpx directory in the Application Data directory on the vSphere Client machine.

Pre-Windows 2008 example: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\vpx\viclient-x.log

Windows 2008 and Window 7 example: C:\Users\user_name\Local Settings\AppData\Local\VMware\vpx\viclient-x.log

x(=0, 1, ... 9)Below link gives more deatils about the viclient log. Also share the screenshot of the error if you are getting any. VMware vSphere 5.1

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. Praveen P Senior Support Engineer
Bandolero865
Contributor
Contributor

When you see this problem, test the connectivity to vCenter with Telnet by connecting to port 443, you should get a response. If there's no response, something else is using the port already or it is blocked.

Also test connectivity to the ESXi host by telnting to port 902, you should get a response. You should get a response, if there's no response, the port is block in your network.

Testing port connectivity with Telnet

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003487

TCP and UDP Ports required to access VMware vCenter Server, VMware ESXi and ESX hosts, and other network components

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1012382

Port 902 is required to connect to the ESXi hosts and 443 to connect to vCenter. Disable the firewall and AV on the vCenter server and test again. Also when you notice these problems, test the client connectivity at the vCenter, if all works well, the problem is network related between the workstation and the hosts/vCenter.

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, thank you for your reply.

This it my latest log:

[    :startup :W: 1] 2014-10-13 17:27:41.697  Log for vSphere Client Launcher, pid=6520, version=5.5.0, build=build-1993072, option=release
[    :Error   :W: 1] 2014-10-13 17:27:41.732  System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Es wurde versucht, einen nicht autorisierten Vorgang auszuführen.

bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.Win32Error(Int32 errorCode, String str)

bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.SetValue(String name, Object value, RegistryValueKind valueKind)

bei Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.SetValue(String name, Object value)

bei VpxClient.Program.RegisterClientMimeExtension()

What tells me the log?

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This I have checked. Telnet works on all ports.

0 Kudos
Bandolero865
Contributor
Contributor

When yous notice the issue at your workstation, does it work at the vCenter. You will need to RDP to VC and test there.

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It works on each workstation, everywhere in our company network, except on my client.

I have posted the .net client log ... can anybody read something from that?

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Install below hotfix on problematic server from where vSphere client is not working - In my case these are Windows XP and 2003 Servers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948963

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have Windows 7 SP1 ... trying to install this hotfix will cause an error. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had faced the same issued, finally I removed recently updated few of windows hot fixes from the client system and restart client system.

after this process, it is working fine.

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I uninstalled each hotfix from microsoft wich was younger than 2 weeks, so I don´t have any microsoft patch from october.

But it does not help. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Let us try to gather more details about the scenario:

1)     vCenter and ESXi versions along with build number

2)     Any recent upgrades performed for vCenter server?

3)     Which version of vSphere client that installed on Windows 7 machine?

4)     Have you tried removing all the vSphere clients and then install fresh client from vCenter?

https://vcenter.fqdn.name   -  open it in browser and download the vSphere client

5)     I assume your Windows 7 met pre-requisites as mentioned below

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103755...

6)     Is the Windows 7 machine is VDI or Laptop?

7)     Any issues while accessing via Web Client?  (if you are using vSphere 5.x)

😎     Finally communication issues between Windows 7 and vCenter server (depends on Network setup of your Customer)

Confirm that two way communication is fine including port numbers (ping, tracert, telnet ... etc)

Software version compatibility (as per point 5)

Hope this information will help you to fix client issue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let us try to gather more details about the scenario:

1)     vCenter and ESXi versions along with build number

- we have 3 different vCenter, from 5.1 to 5.5 U2; ESXi 5.5.0 Build 2068190 (on the vCenter 5.5. U2) ...but it´s not the vCenter, it´s my Client who causes the problem, because I can connect from any computer or VM to each of our vCenter and Hosts

2)     Any recent upgrades performed for vCenter server?

- no

3)     Which version of vSphere client that installed on Windows 7 machine?

-vSphere Client 5.5.0 1993072

4)     Have you tried removing all the vSphere clients and then install fresh client from vCenter?

https://vcenter.fqdn.name   -  open it in browser and download the vSphere client

- yes, by now 5 times

5)     I assume your Windows 7 met pre-requisites as mentioned below

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103755...

- yes, it worked the last 2 years

6)     Is the Windows 7 machine is VDI or Laptop?

- Laptop

7)     Any issues while accessing via Web Client?  (if you are using vSphere 5.x)

- no issues

😎     Finally communication issues between Windows 7 and vCenter server (depends on Network setup of your Customer)

Ports - telnet:

80 - yes

8080 - yes

443 - yes

902 - yes (to ESXi)

8443 - yes

9443 - yes

10080 - yes

10443 - yes

In conclusion: all requirements fulfilled but no working vSphere Client Smiley Sad

EDIT: pinging the hosts or vCenter works without a problem.

0 Kudos
giacomozzi
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.

The VMs work great, but I can not access the ESXi host.

The first ping work, but not the next.

From other host I can connect by SSH without erros.

vpx log show:

[    :startup :W: 1] 2014-10-14 09:32:56.946  Log for vSphere Client Launcher, pid=6036, version=5.1.0, build=build-786111, option=release
[    :Error   :W: 1] 2014-10-14 09:32:56.994  System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Tentativa de execução de uma operação não autorizada.

I can not find the cause!

0 Kudos
Bandolero865
Contributor
Contributor

Is your workstation in the same segment as the vCenter and the ESXi hosts? Disable the Windows Firewall on the vCenter server if you are using Windows. Also check on AV and for testing purposes, disable it for the time being and update the results.

0 Kudos
TomH201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Firewall and antivirus are disabled or uninstalled.

0 Kudos