VMware Cloud Community
FrinkTheBrave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere Client VM console only interactive when full screen

When I display the console tab on a VM I can see it correctly and the display updates as expected, but I can't interact with it with the mouse or keyboard.

Ctrl-Alt-Enter and Ctrl-Alt-Del from the keyboard has no effect.

Guest> Send Ctrl-Alt-Del works correctly although I can't log in as the keyboard/mouse still doesn't work.

Guest> Enter Full Screen does work and I can then use the VM full-screen as expected. Pressing Ctrl-Alt when in full screen reverts back to the console in the client with no user interaction possible as before.

The same is seen if I pop the console out of the client.

It did work once before, when someone else connected to my VM so we were both connected, then I could interact with the VM in the client console.

I am using version 4.1.0 for ESXi and Client. I have installed the latest VMWare Tools. The only warning I get on startup is that there is insufficient video RAM to use the maximum resolution (2560x1600) but I don't want that resolution.

Any ideas? TIA,

- Frink

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you colleague can access with no problem chances it may be your PC client's issue. what about reinstalling your vsphere client? or download the thinapp version of vsphere client http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/03/thinapped-vsphere-client-fling-new-download-available.html

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

looks like more of a client issue? may i know what is the operating system you're accessing from? what about using another pc/laptop.

0 Kudos
FrinkTheBrave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using Windows XP. Actually I'm not sure if I am using the latest VMWare Tools, but colleagues can access the same VMs with no problems so that's probably not a factor.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

if you colleague can access with no problem chances it may be your PC client's issue. what about reinstalling your vsphere client? or download the thinapp version of vsphere client http://blogs.vmware.com/thinapp/2011/03/thinapped-vsphere-client-fling-new-download-available.html

0 Kudos
FrinkTheBrave
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the end I had to do a reinstall of my machine for another reason and it worked after that

0 Kudos