VMware Cloud Community
ejpb
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client: USB device stuck at "Connecting..."

Hello.

Normally it works as it should, but sometimes I have trouble connecting a USB flash drive from my client to the VM via vSphere Client. It gets stuck at the connecting stage and I cannot cancel it. If I disconnect it from my computer and reconnect it, it returns to the stuck state.

EsxiUsbConnecting.png

If one is stuck and I try another, it will also get stuck. It can start to work again after a reboot of the VM, but I'm wondering if there is some service or something in ESXi I can check or restart to remedy this.

I usually don't eject the USB flash drive from Windows before disconnecting, as it "disappears" from the computer and I have to unplug/plugin again. Could that contribute to this?

It has happened on both Linux and Windows guests and on several hosts, both 5.0 and 5.1. The client runs in Windows 7 x64.

13 Replies
ejpb
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I did some searching and tried with ./etc/initd/usbarbitrator restart but that didn't help, same status.

0 Kudos
gbock
Contributor
Contributor

Anything new on this?  I'm having the same problem, except it doesn't clear itself when I reboot the VM.

0 Kudos
DHusby
Contributor
Contributor

I am also having this issue... Restarting VM's does not help. I need this machine online for 8am and I'm stuck not being able to install. This never happened in my many test builds. Frustrating.

Dhusby

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

can you restart the usbarbitrator service running in windows task manager in the local desktop

0 Kudos
DHusby
Contributor
Contributor

So far, the only solution to get it working again has been to shutdown all VM's and reboot the host. Not a desirable solution. Shutting down the guest and restart doesn't fix the issue at all.

0 Kudos
BeautyfullDahli
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, why shouldn't you try to stop and then to start again the Vcenter Server service in the VSCA.

I think u maybe use the VCenter. So you should go through your browser to <VSCAaddress>:5480 and press Stop, wait, press start again - the button is against the Server like this:

qq.PNG

0 Kudos
tomz997
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem but....  if I close vSphere Client and re-open it, after i'm able to conencting my USB device again!

0 Kudos
cforger
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the same problem, and that restarting vSphere Client clears it up for me. That's only slightly annoying, as by the time vSphere Client is crashed for USB devices, I find the consoles are also not displaying properly, etc.

0 Kudos
Dinj35
Contributor
Contributor

Delete the device from the Guest Settings and re-add it.

0 Kudos
JFlanigan
Contributor
Contributor

This problem is caused by shutting down a VM that has the USB/CD/DVD connected.

Apparently, there is no auto-disconnect.

I found that if you disconnect those devices before shutting down the machine, they will be available for use again.

Let us know if this does not work for you.

MCioe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I've been seeing this problem a lot on vSphere 6.0 Update 2, using the old VI Client (I know I'm supposed to use the Web Client).

The only way I've found to clear the problem is to close all of the VI Client windows and then reopen them.  It seems to clear up the "Connecting..." problem, but I don't know why it happens in the first place.

I'll have to try Web Client sometime and see if it's any better.

0 Kudos
SMacL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,  You probably found the answer to this by now, but so it can be shown as answered:

Re. JFlanigan Jun 15, 2014 3:51 PM  reply to you about vSphere client needing to be closed, and restarted - This worked for me. 

:smileyinfo:

1. Close the VM console for the VM (no need to shutdown the VM).

2. Ensure the USB device is ejected from  whatever it is connected to (perhaps one's own remove host).

3. Re-connect the USB to the hardware.

4. Restart the vSphere client...  BINGO - you should be able to seek and connect the USB to the required VM interface.  Smiley Happy

NO MORE NASTY Connecting... message and high blood pressure.

VMware Inc. PLEASE could yo correct this one. It really wastes time and it is not intuitive - If there is no auto-disconnect (even though we handle the USB interface quite correctly and use eject from the physical host and then reinsert), perhaps there could be a warning on the vSphere console or the client main interface:  "PLEASE ENSURE TO REMOVE ALL USB DEVICES BEFORE RESTARTING THE VM INSTANCE", or similar.

yoyo2
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU!

I close the v centre console, run again. ok.

0 Kudos