VMware Cloud Community
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere Client 'Trusted Domain Controllers'

I've got an ESXi 4.1 box with 4, 2008 R2 servers on it.

Recently, I joined the host to my domain. It seems to be working fine (domain authentication, DNS hostname, etc...) except that in the client, under configuration - authentication services for the host, I have nothing listed in 'trusted domain controllers'. The 'directory services type' is showing active directory and 'domain' lists my domain correctly. I haven't been able to find a definitive as to why my DC is not listed there(?)

TIA.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The field would be better described at "Trusted Domains". Here's my setup showing the domain of which the server is a member of and three trusted domains.

domains.jpg

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I have nothing under my Trusted Domain Controller field either.  I wasn't able to find each any information on what should be listed there but I did find this post , http://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-add-vmware-vsphere-4-1-esxesxi-hosts-to-active-directory/ , that has another example of nothing listed.

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The field would be better described at "Trusted Domains". Here's my setup showing the domain of which the server is a member of and three trusted domains.

domains.jpg

Dave
VMware Communities User Moderator

Free ESXi Essentials training / eBook offer

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thx, guys.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey7113
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I operate several ESXi 4.1 servers. Most of them, when joined to the domain list the domain name in the detail pane next to Domain, and next to Trusted Domain Controllers there is a list of associated trusted domains. On some however there is only double dash (--) next to Trusted Domain Controllers.  While both show up in AD the same, the one with the "--" also does not authenticate properly.

I have reset their accounts and dropped them from the domain and rejoined them but it remains the same.

Any idea's how to fix this?

Jeff

0 Kudos
rocker77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello all,

I am experiencing similar issues. I can join ESXi (4.1 or 5) to the domain. I have to wait 2-3min. and then I can add domain groups. After some time week sometimes two days domain group lost from the Permissions tab. I see in Authentification ESXi as connected to the domain but I can't add domain groups. I have to leave/join to the domain and again it works. I am planning create SR on VMware support but it's bad that I can't simulate issue. I have to wait till in happens 😞 Any suggestions??

Roman

0 Kudos
Jeffrey7113
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For my problem I simply had to restart the services on each host. Putty into each one and run the command "sbin/services.sh restart" and the Trusted Domain Controllers populated.