VMware Cloud Community
talewis
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client Console Display Resolution

I'm running ESXi 4.1.  When I open a console from vSphere client, I cannot use a resolution higher than 1280 x 800.  Once I go to 1280 x 924, I cannot click on the task bar.  I want to use a resolution of 1280 x 1024.

I have the video card memory set at 128MB.  

Are there any other settings that I can try?

5 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

AFAIK, the resolution displayed from the Guest console by the vsphere client is the Guest's resolution. Can you make a check if the guest if having the display of 1280 x 1024 configured,

Also, from the vsphere client, when you open the console, can you click on View and select Fit Guest window option. If the Fit to guest window is disabled, try to increase the console box manually and once done you will have the option enabled again.

talewis
Contributor
Contributor

One thing I didn't mention, is I am selecting View - Enter Full Screen.

I do have the guest display setting at 1280 x 1024.

When I select Fit Guest Now, it changes the resolution on the Console to 1278 x 880.

It seems like this is the maximum resolution it can handle.  

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hmmm.. there are options that can be added in the vmx file of the guest like

svga.vramSize = 8388608

svga.maxWidth = 1680

svga.maxHeight = 1200

Check out if this kb helps you out..

talewis
Contributor
Contributor

I went through the KB you attached, and verified the RAM setting in the vmx file.

for a resolution of 1024 x 1280, I would need a svga.vramsize = 1024 x 1280 x 4 =  5242880.

If I set the Display memory to Auto-Detect video settings, it puts svga.vramsize = 16777216 in the vmx file.

If I enter total video RAM to 48MB, it puts svga.vramsize = 50331648.

These vramsize settings should be plenty for the resolution I'm looking for.

I tried 2 different ESXi clients.  One is running xp and one is running Win7. Both had the same results.

0 Kudos
andresantana
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot, it helped me.

0 Kudos