VMware Cloud Community
themind
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client 4.1 Window Issue

I have this issue on two different computers, both running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. When I open the vSphere Client 4.1 to connect to VMs, it works fine. Then, I minimize a VM Console window and do something else, like browse the web or read a Word document, and when I go to click back on the VM Console, the window doesn't pop up. I can hover over the vSphere Client windows and see the VM Console, but clicking on it does nothing.

Sometimes Shift + Tabbing to select the VM Console window brings it up, sometimes not. If I go in Task Manager, right click on the Application for the VM console and say Switch To, it always pops up. But once whatever happens that blocks it from correctly appearing, I cannot go down to the taskbar and select the VM console window to bring it back up.

Anyone experience this and have a fix for it?

0 Kudos
33 Replies
TobiGebauer
Contributor
Contributor

Hey,

I have the same issue. Also on a Windows 7 Professional x64 Workstation!

Anyone have a fix for it?

0 Kudos
rmacdonaldnai
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I as well am plagued with this issue. It seems to only be an issue when connecting to a 4.1 server. Im not seeing the problem when connecting to a 4.0 server.

0 Kudos
TobiGebauer
Contributor
Contributor

I fixed the problem on my computer now.

Here the way what i have done:

1. I have removed both versions of vSphere Client from my pc (4.0 and 4.1) I seems as have the automatic upate not removed the old 4.0 Client from my computer.

2. I have removed all the vmware data from my Profile (AppData)

3. I have installed the vSphere Client new (with local Admin Rights)

Now it is working fine!! Smiley Wink

@ rmacdonaldnai: Yes it was also a 4.1 server in my problem

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

seems as have the automatic upate not removed the old 4.0 Client from my computer.

The 4.1 client install doesn't remove the 4.0 client as you need both should you need to manage both 4.0 and 4.1 hosts.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
sercomosa
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. I'll try to uninstall all (4.0 & 4.1) and reinstall only 4.1, since i think that it can manage 4.0 hosts too, isn't int?

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just wondering if you guys have tried setting the Disable desktop composition setting for the shortcut?

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
adrianidsys
Contributor
Contributor

:TobiGebauer

How did u remove 4.0 and 4.1? Through their uninstallers?

I have this issue, and i had both 4.0 and 4.1 versions. I've uninstalled 4.1 first and 4.0 second.

Installed the 4.1 client again and same issue.

Tried also to clean everything ( All vmware related from User Profile, Program Files, Registry, etc.), but without success.

Tried that idea with "disable desktop composition" and same thing.

Any other ideas?

Thanks a lot..

0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just for the sake of trying, have you tried removing both clients and removing or reinstalling the .NET installation on your machine? I would remove both clients, clear up all data (AppData, Program Folders, Registry Keys), remove/reinstall .NET and then reinstall the client installations. See if that would fix the issue.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
adrianidsys
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried "removing" .net but i managed to remove/reinstall only .net framework 4 Client Profile.

The other cleaning operations were done every time before reinstalling 4.1 Client.

Any other ideas? Did anyone really managed to solve this issue?

0 Kudos
kahrwei1
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

I've been nagged by this same issue since the original installation vSphere Client 4.1 (not upgrade from 4.0) on a new laptop also running Windows 7 (64-bit). It occurs when connected directly to an ESXi 4.1 host or vCenter Server 4.1. I've tried the uninstall suggestions above with no success.

To my suprise this seems to be the only thread I can find regarding this issue on any forum. I'm very interested to know how others have resolved this issue.

Thanks for your replies.

0 Kudos
cab3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing the same thing, and uninstalled, cleaned, reinstalled, and the problem STILL exists on Win7x64. Come on VMWare, reproduce this, figure out what's broke and fix it for everyone's sake, and issue a patch that fixes the client side, not requiring a whole upgrade. If I were experiencing this in a major production environment, I'd be wringing the neck of my VMWare rep on a daily basis.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would start by trying the generic Windows Video driver. Change the screen resolution to 1024x768. Disable Aero. Disable hardware specific drivers. Temporarily unload or disable and non standard software (software that isn't part of the OS)

Other things to try.

I would create a new Win7 64 VM, update, patch whatever you normally do and then install the vSphere client. If you can recreate it then you have something to point to. File an SR with VMware. It is very difficult to identify and fix something if you only have a few isolated cases. Is it you particular hardware. Is it the Antivirus program or your video driver?

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
kahrwei1
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions. I've experienced this issue with the last two physical computer running Windows 7 64-bit and NVIDIA drivers connected to either a ESXi host directly or a vCenter Server. I'd go thru the effor of testing, but don't have a support contract with VMware to open support requests.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would still try to eliminate the things that it isn't (the Sherlock Holmes method). When you find the thing that it is you can at least point to the identified component. If you are using the unpaid ESXi then you have contributed to the cause.

Forum Upgrade Notice - the VMware Communities forums will be upgraded the weekend of December 12th. The forum will be in read-only mode from Friday, December 10th 6 PM PST until Sunday, December 12th 2 AM PST.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
TobiGebauer
Contributor
Contributor

@adranidsys

yes i removed from remove/change Program in Control Panel

But sometimes i have the issue again.

BUT with Windows Key and Tab Key you can navigate to the Window and on this way you can show it again without close and open it new.. Smiley Wink

its not the soluton but a easy way to skip the failure Smiley Happy

my optinion is that it is a problem with vSphere Client and the Aero Technologie in Windows 7?!

0 Kudos
hooch1964
Contributor
Contributor

I have noticed a similar problem with the vSphere Client when using one or more VM console windows.  If you minimise the main vSphere Client window and then minimize a console window, you cannot restore the console window until you have restored the main vSphere Client window. 

This may be the designed behaviour, but it is certainly not intuitive.

0 Kudos
mreilly6
Contributor
Contributor

Was wondering if anyone has found a valid fix for this issue? I have just started experiencing the same issue. I have 2.5 client installed for 3.5 environment as well and it is fine on the same machine. It just happens with the vsphere 4.1 client.

0 Kudos
icnocop2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.

I am also experiencing this issue.

It seems that there are steps to consistently reproduce this issue (but there are many variants to reproduce it):

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

1. Launch vSphere Client v4.1.

2. Login to vCenter Server v4.1 using windows session credentials for example.

3. Open the console of a powered off virtual machine.

4. Minimize the virtual machine’s console window.

5. Try to restore the virtual machine’s console window.

You cannot restore the virtual machine's console window until you minimize the main vSphere Client window.

There is another reproducable scenario where if you open the console of two powered off virtual machines, and minimize their windows, you cannot restore them until you minimize all vSphere Client windows, including the main vSphere Client window.  But in this scenario, you will only be able to have one restored window at a time.

However, I cannot reproduce this issue when working with a powered on virtual machine.

Disabling desktop composition did not resolve the issue.

@TobiGebauer, I am using a basic Windows 7 theme and not a Windows Aero theme and unfortunately, Alt+Tab does not restore the window for me.

Also, Shift+right-clicking on the taskbar window and selecting Restore does not resolve the issue either.

So now I would like to ask the rest of you two questions:

1. Are you all on Windows 7 64-bit machines?

2. Can you reproduce this issue when working with a virtual machine that is not\never powered off?

Hopefully the answers will allow VMware's developers to resolve the issue.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
TobiGebauer
Contributor
Contributor

hey,

I'm using W7 Enterprise x86.

And YES i can reproduce this with a powerd off machine.

When i minimice a powerd off machine, i cannot restore the virtual machine's console.

Minimice the main VM Window has no effect to the minimiced powerd off machines'console.

I had to close the virtual machine's console an then i can open it new OR press the Windows Button on my keyboard and rotate the Windows mit the TabKey to the VM' Console then i can also bring the console Window up again.

With a powerd on machine i had no problems to minimice an restore the virtual machine's console in my Test.

But i think sometimes i had this issue with a powerd on machine also.

Regards Tobi

0 Kudos