VMware Cloud Community
themind
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere Client 4.1 Window Issue

I have this issue on two different computers, both running Windows 7 Ultimate x64. When I open the vSphere Client 4.1 to connect to VMs, it works fine. Then, I minimize a VM Console window and do something else, like browse the web or read a Word document, and when I go to click back on the VM Console, the window doesn't pop up. I can hover over the vSphere Client windows and see the VM Console, but clicking on it does nothing.

Sometimes Shift + Tabbing to select the VM Console window brings it up, sometimes not. If I go in Task Manager, right click on the Application for the VM console and say Switch To, it always pops up. But once whatever happens that blocks it from correctly appearing, I cannot go down to the taskbar and select the VM console window to bring it back up.

Anyone experience this and have a fix for it?

0 Kudos
33 Replies
icnocop2
Contributor
Contributor

I found another (misplaced) thread about the issue here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1704554

VirtoFred provided several work-arounds.

0 Kudos
icnocop2
Contributor
Contributor

I found yet another thread about the same issue here:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1711233

0 Kudos
icnocop2
Contributor
Contributor

I am thinking this is directly related to the following known issue:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=103563...

Unfortunately, there is no resolution. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
blong
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue.  I actually rebuilt my workstation to correct the problem, thinking it was something with my install.  So, I'm on a fresh install of Windows 7 Professional x64.  One of the posters here mentioned nVidia drivers.  I have a Quadro card, running the latest drivers.  Are we all using nVidia Graphics Cards? 

0 Kudos
hooch1964
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, but no.  ATI Radeon here.

0 Kudos
kahrwei1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I’m using a NVIDIA driver. Please note that vSphere Client 4.1 Update 1, does not correct this issue. I’ve read the VMware tech note indicating that this is a known problem.

0 Kudos
PallySandher
Contributor
Contributor

2 of our users are experiencing the exact same issues.

One is on Windows XP SP3 x86 other is on Windows 7 SP1 x64 (both fully up to date).

As we'd upgraded our servers from ESXi 4.0 to 4.1 I manually uninstalled the 4.0 client from both their machines first using Add/Remove Programs or Programs & Features then downloaded the 4.1 client from one of the servers & installed it.

Servers are both running ESXi 4.1 update 1 build 381591 which is the latest patch as of 28th April 2011.

I intentionally removed the older clients to ensure they didn't get any compatibility issues. When I had the 4.0 & 4.1 clients installed on my machine I had problems getting ISO's to mount on my VM's from my local disk which was resolved by uninstalling the older client.

The only correlation I can find between the 2 problem machines is they're using ATI GPUs. I have a Windows 7 SP1 x64 machine with an NVidia Quadro GPU & don't see the same issues. Windows Aero isn't the problem here, it doesn't exist on Windows XP.

Can we expect a vSphere Client update which plays nice with ATI drivers soon?

0 Kudos
JasonNash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Intel onboard graphics here and still have the problem intermittently, haven’t had chance to pin it down. I don’t think it happens with all of our VMs.

0 Kudos
JasonNash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just done some more testing in our environment, it does only happen on some of our VMs others are fine. All have the newest version of VMware tools. What is everyone elses experience?

0 Kudos
voysovrezun
Contributor
Contributor

I experience this issue at our organization.  I am running Win XP SP3 fully patched, ATI graphics (latest driver), and the VMs have the latest version of Tools installed.  I have to work with multiple VM console connections simultaneously on a routine basis.  Sometimes I have to click restore a dozen or more times to get a minimized client window to re-appear.  Eventually it seems to work, though it's always inconsistent.  Occasionally, I cannot even close the window so I can simply open a new console connection.  I have tried to get into the habit of not minimizing the window(s) as a workaround.  Several others here have the same problem on Windows 7.  I do not notice it following certain VMs.  We have over 90 VMs and it happens at one time or another to all of them.  It would be nice if there were a resolution from vmware.

0 Kudos
mreilly6
Contributor
Contributor

Until Vmware comes up with a fix I have just flat out dropped opening both consoles at once and called it good. It would be nice if Vmware put some developers on this and knocked it out already.

0 Kudos
JasonNash
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone got this logged with VMware support, what is the official line?

0 Kudos
HABATHCX
Contributor
Contributor

Yes this is very annoying issue... try this... works for me. (Windows 7 and above only I think)..

Click on the taskbar icon for the console, it will look as if it did nothing.

Press Windows Key + Up Arrow, and your window is restored! (at least it worked for me).

0 Kudos
cab3
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant!  Not exactly as convenient as if VMware would fix the problem, but better than having to close the console and re-open!  Thanks for this!

0 Kudos