VMware Cloud Community
RedDragon0353
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 7 Free Licence Key invalid?

Hey everyone!

I'm having issues assigning my free licence to my vSphere installation. I am copying the code directly from the license information as pictured below, and I installed using the ISO in the picture below. When I do attempt to add the licence, I am asked to provide a valid licence key.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers
Screenshot 2022-11-17 114415.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry, but the screenshot it seems to me just the typical of the GUI of a host running ESXi version 8 not version 7.
If this is the case it is not possible to use a license for the previous version 7 with the current version 8 product.

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

9 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hello.
The license you show is for an ESXi host, it cannot be managed by a vCenter Server.
Could you show the screen when you try to enter the license.

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
RedDragon0353
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Screenshot 2022-11-17 170846.png

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I have seen in once in a lifetime that i was unable to assign a $payed license neither trough WebClient(vCenter) or Hostclient. I use the esxi commandline to assign my key. After that Host and WebClient was happy. IIRC it was a ESX 6.x host back in the time.

Regards,
Joerg

Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry, but the screenshot it seems to me just the typical of the GUI of a host running ESXi version 8 not version 7.
If this is the case it is not possible to use a license for the previous version 7 with the current version 8 product.

Regards,
Ferdinando

IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Thats a good catch. I thought it was a linux browser with an ugly font selection.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Nope, IMHO it's really a "ugly" font selection. 😂

Regard,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
RedDragon0353
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah yes, on closer inspection it is indeed ESXi v8.

RedDragon0353_0-1668687187774.png

I have no idea why the page gave me a ESXi v7 code with an ESXi v8 ISO.

Thanks for the help! Now I gotta figure out how to get a ESXi v7 iso file, and reinstall everything

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi,

Sorry, You should be able to request the "free" license for ESXi version 8.0 that you already have installed instead of reinstalling version 7 from scratch.

Regards,
Ferdinando

RedDragon0353
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yep, was able to re-register and get a licence key for ESXi 8. Thanks everyone for your help, all working now

0 Kudos