VMware Cloud Community
kuhnto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6.7 direct console issues through putty

I am running 6.7, got all the settings correct and I am outputting the ESXi console through the serial port of our server (Mkernel.Boot.logPort=none, Mkernel.Boot.gdbPort=none, Mkernel.Boot.tty2Port=com1). I am using putty on a laptop We want to be able to access the console CLI from this serial console. It seems pretty straight forward. I get our banner page once the system comes up. If I hit alt-f2 I get the login for changing the various config settings. I turn on the "enable esxi shell" I hit esc to back out. I should then just press alt-f1 to get a console window. This does not happen though. It does on a keyboard, video,mouse (KVM) setup, but through serial I can not get to the actual CLI. The screen just flashes. We are using a banner on the system, in case that makes a difference.

Is there some missing configuration that needs to be set?  The ultimate goal is to have the ESXi acessabe through a console server and remove the local KVM.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuhnto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I solved the issue. If you set mkernel.boot.tty2=com1, you will get the GUI like display where you can set all your network and troubleshooting settings. You need to set mkernel.boot.tty1=com1 to output the actual CLI interface.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kuhnto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I solved the issue. If you set mkernel.boot.tty2=com1, you will get the GUI like display where you can set all your network and troubleshooting settings. You need to set mkernel.boot.tty1=com1 to output the actual CLI interface.

0 Kudos