VMware Cloud Community
DJCORNI
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5 free version 8 Gb vRAM limit...

Did I get that right: I have a Fuji TX150 S7 with 16 Gb memory and one pysical CPU. With the free version of vSphere 5 it is only possible to use 8 out of that 16 Gb available RAM for running VMs. Is that correct?

If that is the case I will change back to XenServer oder Hyper-V. Just a year ago I changed from XenServer to ESXi (because it came preinstalled on a built in USB flash dongle with the server) but I think that I will have to go back to Xen if the memory limitations are as I understood them.

0 Kudos
26 Replies
Varazir
Contributor
Contributor

That sux Smiley Sad

I just have 8GB ram on my system but still it sux

0 Kudos
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Looks like iĺl be sticking to ESXi 4.1 for development purposes. Either that or my copy of VMware Workstation on my over-spec desktop. Disappointing though, was looking forward to running ESXi 5 in my testlab until i read about this limit...

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Villag3Idiot wrote:

Looks like iĺl be sticking to ESXi 4.1 for development purposes. Either that or my copy of VMware Workstation on my over-spec desktop. Disappointing though, was looking forward to running ESXi 5 in my testlab until i read about this limit...

They bumped free to 32GB vRAM...

0 Kudos
stinklyonion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

does that mean 8GB limit for each vRAM? or it can only be added an as additional storage for all your available VMs?http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/1.gif

0 Kudos
Villag3Idiot
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the info wdroush1, that will make the free edition infinitely more useful for me!

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

stinklyonion wrote:

does that mean 8GB limit for each vRAM? or it can only be added an as additional storage for all your available VMs?http://imagicon.info/cat/5-59/1.gif

Err, what?

It's a 32GB limit on all running virtual machines, this is by allocation, so you can have 2 VMs allocated 16GB of RAM, 4 with 8GB, 16x1GB, etc.

Doesn't matter what you have in the box, and the only way to get more is to buy vSphere.

0 Kudos
scowse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you want to see how VMW have got it so horribly wrong check this out http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/07/23/100134488/

A couple of quotes to highlight the folly:

"Says Robert Hormats, a longtime China watcher at Goldman Sachs: "It's a great turnaround story with wonderful lessons for other companies.""

"pricing strategies were doomed to fail"

"And Microsoft's own prices have dropped so low it now sells a $3 package of Windows and Office to students"

The most important thing to take from this is that what is even more important than revenues is that people are using your product - not someone elses, as stated above by OPs! The revenues will come with with this strategy and a bit of patience but no, the unseemly haste to embed the snout into an a faster filling trough has blinded them to the lessons of history, bless their grubby little souls.

VMW = too many high powered (and probably over-paid) spin doctors who want even more but who don't have the common sense and restraint to go with it ;(

0 Kudos