VMware Cloud Community
MManathanya
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5 essentials plus RAM Limited and upgrade.

I've plan to upgrade server RAM for addition guest in this year. Currently I running 2 ESXi 5.0.0, 914586 licensed with VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus. I remember on purchased date this license has vRAM limited(not sure 144 or 192GB) with 3 ESXi hosts. I recheck for sure but found something uncleared and make me confused.

RAM Limitation.

Refer to this link http://community.spiceworks.com/shared/post/0000/2605/vmware-esx5-lisans-tablosu.png. I understand that I can install unlimited RAM but ESXi can use just only 24GB/CPU. In this case I use just 2 ESXi host with 2 physical CPU/host. I'll get only 24*4=96GB for vRAM. If I need more vRAM I need to add more ESXi host right?

Refer to VMware vSphere 5 Editions Overview - Thomas-Krenn-Wiki and No more VRAM: VMware abandons controversial pricing model | Ars Technica. There are no more vRAM limited anymore.

What is the correct information?

Upgrade

What is stable latest version I can run with current license I have?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

the RAM limitation was removed shortly after it's introduction in 5.0 because it made the customers angry Smiley Wink

your 5.X license works for all vSphere 5 versions.

So the latest version you can run is 5.5 Update 2.

If you have an active SnS (Support and Subscription) you can also upgrade your key to vSphere 6:

VMware KB: How to upgrade license keys in My VMware

Tim