VMware Cloud Community
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

vSphere 5 cpu requirements

I noticed my vCenter server was at 1 cpu / 1 core, 4gb ram.  Maybe this is why nagivating in vSphere client feels laggy at times.  So I looked up the documentation center to make sure I had enough resources.  vSphere Documentation Center

The first line says 2 64-bit CPUs or one 64-bit dual-core processor.

Well after some windows updates, I shut it down and connected to the host directly.  I changed it to 1 cpu with 2 cores and also changed the RAM from 4GB to 6GB.  Powered it back on and rebooted it when windows told me to.

But what is a better, faster config?  1 CPU 2 cores, or 2 CPUs 1 core?

We have 5 ESXi 5 hosts, 66 VM's and templates.

ESXi 5.0.0, 1489271 specifically.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
varfuso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using virtual sockets or virtual cores does not impact the performance of the virtual machine. Always check if your VM configuration is in compliance with the vendor licensing rules before increasing the vCPU count!

Here is a good article

vCPU configuration. Performance impact between virtual sockets and virtual cores? - frankdenneman.nl

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
varfuso
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using virtual sockets or virtual cores does not impact the performance of the virtual machine. Always check if your VM configuration is in compliance with the vendor licensing rules before increasing the vCPU count!

Here is a good article

vCPU configuration. Performance impact between virtual sockets and virtual cores? - frankdenneman.nl

0 Kudos
cypherx
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ok well the vSphere client seems faster now.  We went from 1 cpu 1 core to 1 cpu 2 cores.  I will leave it like that.

As for licencing yes, I am aware and we run 2008 R2 Datacenter licence on each host.  We also run SQL Express on vCenter, so not affected by the newer atrocious SQL server per core licencing that M$ so devilishly put out post 2008 R2.

0 Kudos