VMware Cloud Community
edutz1014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vSphere 5 Standard vSwitch question

I am prepping for my VCP exam and i need clarification on something please.

a Standard vSwitch with the default 120 ports (8 reserved for the vmkernel)  what actually uses a port on the vSwitch.

each virtual machine, each port group etc. If i have 10 vms in a port group does it use just one port?

I am trying to understand what actually requires a vswitch port and what does not. i know I will get config questions like you have  vmotion and 116 vms on a vswitch with xx amount of ports.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

any virtual network connection will use a port on vswitch - so each virual nic on a vm will use a port as well as the vmkernel ports used for management, vmotion and FT - A virtual machine port group itself does not use a port but the virtual machine nics connected to a vm port group will use the ports - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

any virtual network connection will use a port on vswitch - so each virual nic on a vm will use a port as well as the vmkernel ports used for management, vmotion and FT - A virtual machine port group itself does not use a port but the virtual machine nics connected to a vm port group will use the ports - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
edutz1014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for the info. Is there a way to tell how many ports are free on a vswitch. I know can do the cli but just shows me what has a port.

0 Kudos
slaclair
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you have powercli installed run

Get-VirtualSwitch | Select-Object NumPortsAvailable

This will run against all vSS's on that host, if you wanted to run it against a all vSS's on a vCenter then that could easily be done with a foreach loop.

Best of luck in your studies!

VCAP5-DCD/DCA/CIA, VCA4-DT
Rubeck
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

There's a simple way using esxcli to display configured and used ports for a standard vSwitch:

esxcli network vswitch standard list | grep -i -A3 name

/Rubeck

Shakaal
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Also the uplinks(Physical NICs) connected to the switch will be using the Virtual ports to communicate with the VM's.

For Exapmle if you have a vSwitch with 2Physical NIC's connected to it you can subtract 2 from the total number of available virtual ports.

Regards

Vakul

0 Kudos
edutz1014
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks everyone for the info, it really helped. 

0 Kudos