VMware Cloud Community
SuperSpike
Contributor
Contributor

vSphere 5 Licensing

I took a minute to read the licensing guide for vSphere 5 and I'm still trying to pull my jaw off the floor. VMware has completely screwed their customers this time. Why?

What I used to be able to do with 2 CPU licenses now takes 4. Incredible.

Today

BL460c G7 with 2 sockets and 192G of memory = 2 vSphere Enterprise Plus licenses
DL585 G7 with 4 sockets and 256G of memory = 4 vSphere Enterprise Plus licenses

Tomorrow

BL460c G7 with 2 sockets and 192G of memory = 4 vSphere Enterprise Plus licenses
BL585 G7 with 4 sockets and 256G of memory = 6 vSphere Enterprise Plus licenses

So it's almost as if VMware is putting a penalty on density and encouraging users to buy hardware with more sockets rather than less.

I get that the vRAM entitlements are for what you use, not necessarily what you have, but who buys memory and doesn't use it?

Forget the hoopla about a VM with 1 TB of memory. Who in their right mind would deploy that using the new license model? It would take 22 licenses to accommodate! You could go out and buy the physical box for way less than that today, from any hardware vendor.

Anyone else completely shocked by this move?

@Virtual_EZ
0 Kudos
1,980 Replies
tomaddox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

TysonL wrote:

While I haven't put them through their paces myself CPU reviews have implied that Intel cores are roughly twice as powerful as AMD cores.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Opteron+6176+SE

Slightly slower than the current high end Intel CPUs, but certainly not half the speed.

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Mark Hodges wrote:

So you are stating that per core,  an AMD Processor provides ½ as many CPU computing resoruces as an equivalent Intel Server?

I would think AMD would argue with that statement…

In reality, a AMD 6 core and INTEL 6 Core should provide equivalent CPU cycles and computing resources…if AMD 12 core = Intel 6 Core…then the obvious choice is to purchase Intel because it may be marginally more expensive then AMD..the licensing cost savings would balance it out.

If an AMD 12 core is 2x as much computing resources, then purchase ½ the sockets to keep licensing in line with Intel…or just License all the cores and bask in the glory that is the holy grail of power….

I'd say it's netiher, AMD has twice as many cores (and we're looking at 16-core AMDs this year), but their clock speeds are about ~30% slower IIRC.

Basically it's pandering to the IntelVMWare alliance again, and seriously in a virtual environment, screw hyperthreading.

0 Kudos
allenb1121
Contributor
Contributor

Speaking from an almost exclusively AMD shop these days, I can tell you that AMD is not 1/2 the computing resources of Intel. I will take 12 real cores over 8 real and 8 logical CPUs any day for massively multithreaded operations and for virtualization.. The only exception seems to be Oracle on Linux...for some reason, the Intel Xeons consistently outperform the Opteron 6100s there, but I have not done any in-depth investigation to determine why. Our DBAs tend to think it is the additional CPU cache on the Intel CPUs. For single-threaded apps (which are becoming fewer and fewer), Intel may be the better choice. Also, if you have custom apps that were compiled with Intel's compiler (we have that in the HPC/Research computing area, where we use Intel), Intel is the way to go there. They are different tools for different applications. Choosing the best one for the particular job, and you will get much better results.

Either way, if you have the licenses for it, the Opteron 6100 series CPUs are the better choice for virtualization from my experience - and we are heavily virtualized, and heavily AMD. I'm about to forklift out the last of our Intel virtualization hosts...

Let's not sidetrack the discussion off to an AMD vs Intel war, though. There are valid points on both sides, and valid applications for both.

Allen B.

Allen Beddingfield

Systems Engineer

The University of Alabama

0 Kudos
allenb1121
Contributor
Contributor

It totally depends on the type of work. I have done a lot of testing back when the Opteron 6100s first came out. Depending on the type of workload I use, I can make either of them appear to be the winner. Intel shines in some areas, AMD shines in others. For most applications, the lower-priced AMDs are much more than adequate, and in virtualization, they appear to be the more powerful of the two choices right now. I will qualify that by saying that I have not tested the new 10 core Intels.

You can pretty much prove or disprove anything with enough stats and graphs Smiley Happy

Allen Beddingfield

Systems Engineer

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor

I can't agree. The ONLY way to keep customers NOW is to claim that they made a mistake and new model will be applied to the cloud providers only, and RETURN to the old model (with necessary modifications such as price adjustment or ## of core adjustments). Else no one idiot wil upgrade to Vmware 5 at all and most wil drop support and switch to other providers (without this punitive licensing) eventually, or wil make a tricks and use older licensing schemas and oledr version as long as possible (and it is possible up top 5 years).

The change itself is a minor one and no much resources (except marketing resourecs who tried to show that this broken model is not really broken) was applied to it - remember that they ALREADY had such licensing for the cloud providers. (It was miatake too - obvious if you realize that most cloud providers use XEN as a result of this VMware licensing, but we are not cloud providers so this is not a big concern for most customers).

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor

Hmm, I read VMware 5 announcements and did not find any new features (except few minor changes). The main new feature is NO FEATURES + vRAM punishment.

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor

Not correct. We disagree WITH THE NEW MODEL, not with the numbers. New model broke the sense of VM-ing - allocate as many resources s necessary, use as much as you have (HW + licensing),. vRAM is not HW resource and is just imagined resource and it's licensing broke the whole idea.

0 Kudos
jmounts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

tomaddox wrote:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Opteron+6176+SE

Slightly slower than the current high end Intel CPUs, but certainly not half the speed.

those benches are not really good to use in comparison with virtualization. While the AMD will almost always fall behind in raw GHZ processing power, on these types of charts, it doesnt show what happens to the CPU when you start to max out their threading abilities.

From what ive seen, with both AMD and INTEL+HT and INTEL/NoHT, Intel does do multithreading across the board (i'd say 20% on average) better then AMD.

and the only bench ive found to support this is to load up ESXi, get esxtop rolling and expand out your VMs and watch the %RDY between platforms.

Intel with no HT and 4core AMDs are about the same. The difference really comes in when you stack 8vCPUs on 2+ Vms on the same host. Intel holds up while AMD sinks into the %RDY numbers.

Like i said in the previous post, if i take 2 Vms with 8vCPUs each, my R805 with 8cores starts to run 25.9+ %RDY while my 2950 (no HT on the CPUs) stays below 0.54 %RDY. To compete, I had to also test with my R815 with Dual 8core Opeteron 6128's (thats 16cores), The %RDY on the R815 sticks around 1.6-3.5, but never really drops below 0.5 like the Intel 2950 does.

To be fair, the 2 Vms with 8vCPUs are our production Business system. Both VMs employ 4way MPIO with the 9k MTU doing a 1:1 mapping back to the equallogic sans. They serv about 2k users right now. These are both very heavy hitting VM's.

0 Kudos
GaryHertz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If AMD processors don't perform as well as Intel processors thats AMD's problem not VMware.  If I use a four year old quad core Intel CPU it won't perform as well as a new quad core Intel CPU.  My licensing shouldn't change.  That's why we upgrade equipment.  Under the current licensing you are limited to 6 cores unless you upgrade to Advanced or Enterprise Plus so you are already paying a penalty for using a 12 core AMD.

Just about every aurgument I've heard for going to a vRAM model states that core/socket counts are going up so VMware needs to do something to even the field.  If that's the case the most sensible solution is to base licensing on core count instead of socket.

It's also an easy licensing switch.  Convert Essential and Enterprise licences to 6 cores and Advanced and Enterprise plus to 12 cores.  That's what the 4.1 licensing supports so no one loses.  If I'm a current customer I stay even or even benefit from the change and don't have a reason to complain.  VMware can price new core licenses at any price point they want just as they can price new socket licenses anyway they want.

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor

Take my bet - they will reverse, at least on some feature sets. No chance for them do not reverse. Competitors are already cicling around VMware customers, feeling an easy pray.

0 Kudos
allenb1121
Contributor
Contributor

Not a valid comparison. The R805 and 2950 are a few generations back in both product lines. The 6100 series CPUs are much better. You are correct for the comparison between those product lines, though. We were using Intel back then for the same reason. We are now using AMD.

Allen Beddingfield

Systems Engineer

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor

Do you mean quick, easy way to lost money? I don't see how this new model , which distract customers (new because of kidding with 8 GB vRAM in the free version, old because of impossible upgrade) can bring more money!

0 Kudos
johndennis
Contributor
Contributor

Shane wrote:

scowse wrote:

There is truth in that article from Eric.

"...VMware had to do something. Otherwise, the massive scale-up potential for servers would result in fewer hosts with fewer sockets -- and fewer licensing dollars for VMware."

Smiley Sad

Like I and many others have stated before we dont disagree with the new model, we disagree with the ludicrous entitlement amounts. Had they implemented this model and limitations 3 or 4 years ago it would have made sense but not today.

I do disagree with the new licensing model.  The goal at VMWare should be to completely eliminate the competition, by making a rock solid product which is worth buying.  By overpricing it, they simply open the door the competition.

A windows 2008 license costs me roughly $600 each-this helps offset the cost of writing the software (which represents millions of lines of code).  A vmware license costs me 4 times this, per socket, and represents substancially less development work.  In my mind, is it the best product on the market-absolutely, but it's time for VMWare to drop the EMC (lube required) licensing model, and start charging their customers more fairly for what they are getting.

(In other words, sure it works great but it was a heckuva lot easier to write than windows so let's price it accordingly!)

0 Kudos
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gary H wrote:

If AMD processors don't perform as well as Intel processors thats AMD's problem not VMware.  If I use a four year old quad core Intel CPU it won't perform as well as a new quad core Intel CPU.  My licensing shouldn't change.  That's why we upgrade equipment.  Under the current licensing you are limited to 6 cores unless you upgrade to Advanced or Enterprise Plus so you are already paying a penalty for using a 12 core AMD.

Just about every aurgument I've heard for going to a vRAM model states that core/socket counts are going up so VMware needs to do something to even the field.  If that's the case the most sensible solution is to base licensing on core count instead of socket.

It's also an easy licensing switch.  Convert Essential and Enterprise licences to 6 cores and Advanced and Enterprise plus to 12 cores.  That's what the 4.1 licensing supports so no one loses.  If I'm a current customer I stay even or even benefit from the change and don't have a reason to complain.  VMware can price new core licenses at any price point they want just as they can price new socket licenses anyway they want.

This.

And vCentre already detects the correct number of cores. Not a big change. My Essentials + license just changes from 3 hosts/6 sockets to 3 hosts/36 cores.

0 Kudos
jmounts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

allenb1121 wrote:

Not a valid comparison.  The R805 and 2950 are a few generations back in both product lines.  The 6100 series CPUs are much better.  You are correct for the comparison between those product lines, though.  We were using Intel back then for the same reason.  We are now using AMD.

Allen Beddingfield

Systems Engineer

Oh its very much so valid.

the r805 and 2950 vs the r815 is a pretty good example. Lets throw in a r410 too.

the r410 stomps on my r815, and the only difference really other then architecure is the HT on the CPUs.

The 2950 handles the dual 8way SMP across the 2 VMs, BETTER then the r815 thats running the 6128's. Considering the R815 was purchased with in the last 1.5years (give or take) and the 2950 is 3ish years old. what does that tell you?

AMD is still a couple generations behind Intel with mutlithreading.

Now, im not a fan of either AMD or Intel. IM always making decisions based on Price and what makes sense at the time. Here we are also mainly an AMD shop. The only Intel ESXi hosts we have now are a single R410 and that 2950 (both are for staging and dev work).

Im just confirming what was said in a previous post, that Intel 'hardware vs hardware' is still better then AMD. Thats all.

0 Kudos
jmounts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Gary H wrote:

Yes and they will continue too, I just hope they dont limit our foot printing abilities with whatever changes that comes out of this.

vRAM = stupid idea and needs to be squashed

Cores = better Idea as long as you get 6 cores in their standard/Essentails Packages

But the issue comes back to core licensing if they did take this approach. What about when you need to run 12,16,32cores per socket. Are they going to require you to either;

1. upgrade your per CPU License to support the new Core limits of your hardware

2. sell Core upgrade packs so your over all costs arent breaking the bank

Either Cores, or vRAM the end seems to be the same, its going to be a lot of $.

However, Core licensing looks better then vRAM licensing. The Lesser of 2 evils?

0 Kudos
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jmounts wrote:

Gary H wrote:

Yes and they will continue too, I just hope they dont limit our foot printing abilities with whatever changes that comes out of this.

vRAM = stupid idea and needs to be squashed

Cores = better Idea as long as you get 6 cores in their standard/Essentails Packages

But the issue comes back to core licensing if they did take this approach. What about when you need to run 12,16,32cores per socket. Are they going to require you to either;

However, Core licensing looks better then vRAM licensing. The Lesser of 2 evils?

I think cores per edition should only be an upgrade idea. new licenses should be by core. Regardless of edition. The edition pricing should reflect features. The only exception would be the Essentials kits. I know coming in that the low price/feature ratio comes with limitations.

0 Kudos
aroudnev
Contributor
Contributor

Core or Core + Host licensing is smart because

- it license HW not something spirital

- you can plan accordenly which hardware to purchase

- it do not punish you when you upgrade older systems

So, this make sense esp. if you can pool core licenses (for example, you can take essential+ and run 1 x 12 core AMD and 1 4 core intel on it).

0 Kudos
cmangiarelli
Contributor
Contributor

As a first time poster to VMTN, I'd quite sad that I'm spending my first message on this licensing topic.  However, while I don't agree with the current licensing standpoint of vRAM, I wanted to put in my $.02 about licensing per CORE and why I don't think it will work (which is why VMware needs to find the best licensing scheme which doesn't penalize current customers but allows them to get a piece of pie as their customers flourish).

The definition of a core is not a guaranteed science today nor in the future.  There are processors being developed with multi-core capacity that is devoted to and excelling at executing specific types of instructions.  There are also chips being researched (and produced) that are comprised of hundreds of "cores" that allow themselves to be reprogrammed at a moments need.  Let's look at an over-simplefied example; if a cpu had four full cores designed to executed standard instructions but two additional cores designed to only handle complex floating point operations, would that be a quad core of six core CPU?  Why should customers pay for cores that software can't completely run on but nevertheless gain a bonus from those two special "cores" under certain computational processes?  If I have a 500 core chip that reprograms itself into six independent execution pipelines, should I pay for all 500 cores or only 6?

The future of CPU's is currently undergoing some interesting research and proof of concepts.  It's absurd to think these advances won't spill over into our x86 world at some point in the future.  What do we do then?  Wait for VMware to create yet another licensing model?

Unfortunately, it's much easier to charge on a per physical device basis.  The physical nature of a server won't instanteously change without some forethought being put into it.  I understand that VMware is looking towards the future as hardware surpasses the current generation's capabilities, but they are doing it at the wrong time.  I only hope that they can resolve this problem and get their customers excited about the new features rather than spending time in test labs looking for alternatives.  I personally believe that a per-socket base cost along with separate but incremental physical RAM packs were the best way to go.  That way, every server has an associated base license for the product and VMware gets a chunk of the cash as the server "scales-up".  If people want to overcommit their resources, then let them take the chance of performance degradation.  And for those people thinking that will reduce VMware's devotion to their advanced memory utlization mechanics, then so be it!  As a company they need to survive to bring you the technology you want or need... honestly, who wants a customer that demands more but doesn't offer to pay for it?

.... and also, VMware may be first to the punch here, but don't think the other vendors aren't watching to see if they too can find a better model that nets them more profit as server hardware advances.  They too need the cash to fund their own research initiatives, especially if they plan to go from market follower to market leader - or find themselves in that position in the future.

We all need to find what's best for our own institutions, but remember that AFFORDABLE quality saves money, time and resources in the long run compared to purchasing today's special of the week.  VMware needs to ensure they are affordable!

P.S. Oh yeah, the notion that a Hyper-V farm is free is absurd.  Even if you create a farm, it's useless without the Microsoft licenses you need to buy to run Microsoft guests; unless you plan on running free linux guests on Hyper-V, but that too is absurd... lol Smiley Wink   However, if you are strictly a Microsoft customer with datacenter licensed per socket, I can agree that Hyper-V is worth a look if you are considering alternatives.

0 Kudos
GaryHertz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

jmounts wrote:

What if you want to run 32 cores today?  You either buy 3 AMD 12 core CPUs or 4 Intel 8 core CPUs and buy that many socket licenses.  You are also forced to upgrade to Advanced or Enterprise Plus whether you want the added features or not.

When 32 core processors eventually come out the performance per core will be better then what it is today. By upgrading from a 4 socket 8 core CPU server to a 1 socket 32 core CPU server you should still see a performance boost for no additional licensing cost.  You may also be able to go to dual socket servers and cut the number of servers in half.  You'll save a bundle on server costs and still have more computing power than before.

0 Kudos