VMware Cloud Community
vMariaL
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vSphere 5.5 - What's keeping you from upgrading?

Hey Everyone,

What version of VMware vSphere are you running? If you have an older version, what's keeping you from upgrading to VMware vSphere 5.5?

---- Veeam Community Manager
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I keep on using 5.1 (free) and reason is very simple: once you in 5.5 upgrade hw-version to VM-v10, you can not edit it by native client. And if you do not upgrade it, client can create only VM-v8. With 5.1 you can create VM-v9. It has been already discussed.

Moreover, there is no clear reaction from VMware about future of vSphere-hypervisor (free). They want to dump native client completely and leave only web-client, but web-client does not work without vShpere-center, which is not free...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
0 Kudos
datasecurity
Contributor
Contributor

vsphere 5.5 - vm hardware 10 - forces you to use your webclient to modify virtual machine properties

-> webclient only useable with vcenter

--> (license)

no can do free installations

if you work for multiple companies, u can not use your own computer / client / webclient to connect to their system

you will always have to use their clients on their hardware because their center wont talk to your webclient (sso)

if vcenter runs on a vm - have fun connecting in maintenance mode with your new and shiny webclient

tldr; small installations - you're doomed , big licensed environments, (all) ok :smileygrin:

0 Kudos
athompson88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Concur with datasecurity

The necessity of using the vCenter webclient is a major turn-off, not to mention it kills off the the enthusiast user base.

0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We upgraded vCenter to 5.5 but not our ESXi hosts, they are still at 5.1

For us it was a few reasons, all of them being the same - software compatibility.

We had to wait for Dell to release a customized ISO of ESXi 5.5 which took awhile.

Veeam didn't support 5.5 for awhile.

Kaspersky AV didn't support 5.5 (we ended up DUMPING Kaspersky because they are utter garbage and switched to Trend Micro).

Those are the main reasons, I believe that now all those software packages support 5.5. We just haven't had any major compelling reason to upgrade.

Glad to hear others don't like the webclient either. I hate it I know we will be forced to use it probably in version 6. Bummer.

0 Kudos